Identifying and Supporting Gifted English Language Learners Equitable Programs and Services for ELLs in Gifted Education
By Mary Catharine Campbell Copyright 2021
Also available as eBook on:
This book is a practical guide for identifying and supporting gifted English language learners (ELLs) based on research and firsthand teaching experience. This book:
- Presents practical information and strategies for identifying gifted ELLs.
- Helps readers understand more about potentially gifted behaviors and talents.
- Supports the enrichment and social-emotional needs of these students.
- Includes background information, teaching strategies, and methods.
- Offers ideas for lessons and activities that can be used to support any learner.
Research from the last 2 decades shows that there is a considerable disparity between ELLs and native English speakers identified as gifted. This book will inspire action by key players in these students' lives, including English language and gifted educators, classroom teachers, school administrators, district and state leaders, families, and the greater community.
Introduction Who Are Gifted English Language Learners? Chapter 1 Support Setting a Foundation to Support Gifted ELLs Chapter 2 Plan Creating a Plan for Teaching Gifted ELLs 5Chapter 3 Listen How to Listen and Observe for Potentially Gifted ELLs Chapter 4 Act Putting Action Behind Ideas and Research to Identify Gifted ELLs Chapter 5 Teach How to Teach Identified Gifted ELLs Conclusion The Ongoing Process of Identifying and Supporting Gifted ELLs References Appendix A: Implementing a Yearlong Book Study Appendix B: Resources for Building Relationships Appendix C: Resources to Extend Students’ Thinking About the Author