240 pages | 7 B/W Illus.
Immigration in the Circumpolar North: Integration and Resilience explores interconnected issues of integration and resilience among both immigrants and host communities in the Arctic region. It examines the factors that inhibit or enable the success of immigrants to the Arctic and the role of territoriality in the process of integration
This book showcases a variety of perspectives on circumpolar immigration, and includes insights from eight Arctic countries as well as thirteen ‘observer countries’ such as China, India, Singapore, Poland, Germany, France, Japan. It considers the solidarities and engagements of indigenous and other local peoples with the new coming immigrants and refugees, and the impact of immigration on the economic and societal life in the Circumpolar Arctic.
The book will be of interest to researchers, teachers, and professors, and policymakers and others interested in migration issues, Arctic issues, international relations, law, and economic integration.
1. Introduction: migration and ethnic challenges for the Circumpolar North
Nafisa Yeasmin, Waliul Hasanat, Jan Brzozowski and Stefan Kirchner
II. Youth Perspective in the Arctic
2. The impact of superdiversity on the educational system: A mirror image of utopia or dystopia?
Nafisa Yeasmin and Satu Uusiautti
3. Syrian Students at the Arctic circle in Iceland
Kheirie El Hariri; Hermína Gunnþórsdóttir; Markus Meckl
4. Immigrant Youth Perspectives: Understanding Challenges and Opportunities in Finnish Lapland
Ria -Maria Adams
III. Family and Diversity Challenges
5. Migrant Integration in Finland: Learning-Processes of Immigrant Women
Nafisa Yeasmin and Stefan Kirchner
6. An integral assessment of relevant perspectives of legal pluralism and the family laws of immigrants
Waliul Hasanat, Nafisa Yeasmin and Timo Koivurova
7. Living in Nowhere
Juha Suoranta and Robert FitzSimmons
IV. Human Rights and Indigenous Communities in the Arctic
8. Embodying Transience: Indigenous Former Youth in Care and Residential Instability in Yukon, Canada
9. Cold Temperature Health Risks and Human Rights
Stefan Kirchner and Susanna Pääkkölä
V. Migration and Development Issues in the Arctic
10. Mixed embeddedness of immigrant entrepreneurs and community resilience: lessons to the Arctic
11. Migration and sustainable development in the European Arctic