This edited volume critically examines the concept of 'security dilemma' and its effects on India-China maritime competition.
While the security dilemma between India and China has frequently been used in academic discussions and popular commentary, it has rarely been critically analysed. This volume addresses the gap by examining whether the security dilemma is a useful concept in explaining the naval and foreign policy strategies of India and China. China’s Belt and Road Initiative and its expansive engagement in the Indian Ocean region, have resulted in India significantly scaling up its investment in their Navy, adding ships, naval aircraft and submarines. This volume investigates how the rivalry is playing out in different sub-regions of the Indian Ocean, and the reactions of other powers, notably the United States and prominent Southeast Asian states. Their reactions to Sino-Indian rivalry are an underexplored topic and the chapters in this book reveal how they selectively use great power rivalry while trying to steer clear of making definite choices. The book concludes with recommendations on mitigating the security dilemma.
This book will be of much interest to students of strategic studies, international relations, maritime security and Asian politics.
1. Introduction: The Indian Ocean and the India-China Security Dilemma Rajesh Basrur, Anit Mukherjee, and T.V. Paul
2. Naval Development and International Stability in the Indian Ocean Region Geoffrey Till
3. China-India Rivalry at Sea: capability, trends, and challenges Koh Swee Lean Collin
4. The Security Dilemma and India’s Naval Strategy Yogesh Joshi and Anit Mukherjee
5. The emerging dynamics of Sino-Indian rivalry in the Bay of Bengal Darshana M. Baruah and C. Raja Mohan
6. India-China Rivalry and the Strategic Importance of Maldives, Mauritius, and Seychelles Sumitha Narayanan Kutty
7.India-China Maritime Competition: Southeast Asia and the Dilemma of Regional States Sinderpal Singh
8. The US Response: Naval architecture and plans Andrew C. Winner
9. Conclusion: Mitigating the Security Dilemma in the Sino-Indian Rivalry T.V. Paul