This book provides a comprehensive understanding of the evolution of India’s strategic culture in the era of globalisation. It examines dominant themes that have governed India’s foreign and security policy and events which have shaped India’s role in global politics.
- Examines the traditional and new approaches to diplomacy and the state’s response to internal and external conflicts;
- Delineates policy pillars which are required to protect the state’s strategic interests and forge new relationships in the current geopolitical climate;
- Compares the domestic and international security policies followed during the tenures of Narsimha Rao, Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Manmohan Singh and;
- Analyses how the Narendra Modi era has brought on changes in India’s security strategy, and the use of soft power and diplomacy.
With extensive additions, drawing on recent developments, this edition of the book will be a key text for scholars, teachers and students of defense and strategic studies, international relations, history, political science and South Asian studies.
Table of Contents
List of Tables. List of Maps. Abbreviations. Preface. Acknowledgements. Map of Asia. Map of South Asia (Physical). Introduction. 1. Strategic Culture 2. India since Independence 3. India: The Application (1947-1991) 4. India: The Application (Post 1991) 5. Internal Security and the Role of the State 6. Beyond Strategic Autonomy: Modi Years 7. India: Strategic Culture and National Security Policy. Bibliography. Index.
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- HISTORY / General
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / General
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / History & Theory
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / International Relations / General
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / International Relations / Diplomacy
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Political Freedom & Security / International Security
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Political Process / Leadership
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Public Policy / Social Security
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Peace
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Political Freedom & Security / Terrorism
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Government / International
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Geopolitics
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Public Policy / Military Policy
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / General
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Regional Studies