This is one of the first textbooks to explore the phenomenon of Influencer Marketing and how it fits within marketing communications to build brands and their communities. Influencers – those who can impact a brand’s marketing and advertising strategies as well as build brand communities – are making extensive use of the new digital and traditional communications platforms. Influencers offer brands the ability to deliver the “right” communication and marketing messages to a specific target audience.
Across four core sections, this book brings together the key theory and practical implications of this new marketing tool: how it works as part of communications campaigns, including how to select the right influencers and measure their success, the dark side of influencer marketing, and the legal and ethical framework. With contributions from authors across the globe, each chapter is also accompanied by an in- depth case study – from the Kardashians to Joe Wicks – that demonstrates how the theory translates to practice.
Influencer Marketing is important reading for advanced, postgraduate and executive education students of Marketing, Digital Marketing, Marketing Communications, Brand Management and Public Relations. With its accessible style and practical content, it is also highly valuable for Marketing Communications, Branding and PR specialists.
Table of Contents
Sevil Yesiloglu and Joyce Costello
Part 1: Exploring Influencers and Influencer Marketing
1. The Rise of Influencers and Influencer Marketing
2. Social Media Influencers versus Traditional Influencers: Roles and Consequences for Traditional Marketing Campaigns
Marina Leban and Benjamin Voyer
3. Identifying and Selecting the Right Influencers in the Digital Era
Sabina Riboldazzi and Antonella Capriello
4. How to Map and Select Digital Influencers for Marketing Campaigns
Benjamin Rosenthal and Adriana Arcuri
Part 2: Influencers as part of Marketing Communication Campaigns
5. Choosing the Right Influencer for Your Brand
Ayşe Bengi Özçelik and Eser Levi
6. Post Millennials and Their Motivation to Engage with Influencers Brand-related Content on Instagram
Sevil Yesiloglu and Simrit Gill
7. Parasocial Relationships of Generation Z Consumers with Social Media Influencers
Elina Närvänen, Tytti Kirvesmies and Elina Kahri
8. Can you make the world more sustainable with Influencers? Exploring consumers’ motivations to engage with and Influencers’ sustainable content on Instagram
Sevil Yesiloglu and Weronika Waśkiw
9. Female Environmental Influencers on Instagram
Irene Quintana Ramos and Fiona Cownie
Part 3: The Dark Side of Influencers
10. "Hope this is not sponsored": Is an Influencer's credibility impacted when using sponsored versus non-sponsored content?
Joyce Costello and Klaudia Maria Urbanska
11. The Monetization of Opinions: An investigation into consumer responses to covert endorsement practices on Instagram
James Harrison and Fiona Cownie
12. The Art of Deception: Will fake followers decay trust and can authenticity preserve it?
Joyce Costello and Laura Biondi
Part 4: Legal and Future aspects of Influencer Marketing
13. Influencer Marketing and the Law
14. Taking the Biscuit: Exploring Influencers, Advertising and Regulation
15. Virtual Influencers: More Human Than Human
16. Influencer Marketing: Lessons Learned and Moving Forward
Sevil Yesiloglu P.h.D., is a senior lecturer in Advertising at London College of Communication, University of Art London, UK.
Joyce Costello P.h.D., is a Public Affairs Specialist for the US Army, and was previously a senior lecturer in Digital Marketing at Bournemouth University, UK.
"Influencer Marketing sets out vital conceptual frameworks, practitioner and consumer insights, international case studies and inspiring research with a clarity and authority that is inviting for students and indispensable for scholars. From consumer engagement to covert marketing, this is an expert guide to the practices of influencer marketing, and their implications."
Jonathan Hardy, Professor of Communications and Media, University of the Arts London, UK