190 pages | 116 Color Illus.
Innovation Platforms (IPs) form the core of many Agricultural Research for Development programmes, stimulating multi-stakeholder collaboration and action towards the realization of agricultural development outcomes. This book enhances the body of knowledge of IPs by focusing on mature IPs in agricultural systems research, including the crop and livestock sectors, and innovations in farmer cooperatives and agricultural extension services.
Resulting from an international IP case study competition, the examples reported will help the many actors involved with agricultural IPs worldwide reflect on their actions and achievements (or failures), and find tools to share their experience. Chapters feature case studies from Central Africa, Ethiopia, India, Kenya, Nicaragua and Uganda. Authors reflect critically on the impact of IPs and showcase their progress, providing an important sourcebook and inspiration for students, researchers and professionals.
Franck Rijsberman and Kwesi Atta-Krah
1. The State of Innovation Platforms in Agricultural Research for Development
Marc Schut, Jean-Joseph Cadilhon, Michael Misiko and Iddo Dror
2. With Trust and a Little Help from Our Friends: how the Nicaragua Learning Alliance Scaled-up Training in Agribusiness
Dirk Hauke Landmann and Jean-Joseph Cadilhon
3. Overcoming Challenges for Crops, People and Policies in Central Africa: The Story of CIALCA Stakeholder Engagement
Perez Muchunguzi, Piet van Asten, Bernard Vanlauwe and Guy Blomme
4. Can an Innovation Platform Succeed as a Cooperative Society? The Story of Bubaare Innovation Platform Multipurpose Cooperative Society Ltd
Rebecca Mutebi Kalibwani, Jeniffer Twebaze, Rick Kamugisha, Honest Tumuheirwe, Edison Hilman, Moses M. Tenywa and Sospeter O. Nyamwaro
5. Crop-livestock-tree Integration in Uganda: the Case of Mukono-Wakiso Innovation Platform
Sylvia Namazzi, Perez Muchunguzi, Dieuwke Lamers, Anna Sole-Amat, Piet van Asten, Thomas Dubois, Victor Afari-Sefa, Moses M. Tenywa, Immaculate Mugisa, Mariëtte Daniëlle McCampbell and Murat Sartas
6. Humidtropics Innovation Platform Case Study: WeRATE Operations in West Kenya
Paul L. Woomer, Welissa Mulei and Celister Kaleha
7. Innovation Platforms for Improved Natural Resource Management and Sustainable Intensification in the Ethiopian Highlands
Zelalem Lema, Annet Abenakyo Mulema, Ewen Le Borgne and Alan Duncan
8. Sustaining the Supply of Organic White Gold: the Case of SysCom Innovation Platforms in India
Christian Andres, Lokendra Singh Mandloi and Gurbir Singh Bhullar
9. MilkIT Innovation Platform: Changing Women’s Lives – One Cow and One Litre of Milk at a Time – Deep in the Foothills of India’s Himalayan Mountains
Thanammal Ravichandran, Nils Teufel and Alan Duncan
Jean-Joseph Cadilhon, Marc Schut, Michael Misiko and Iddo Dror
11. Are We There Yet? Some Reflections on the State of Innovation Platforms in Agricultural Research for Development Iddo Dror, Jean-Joseph Cadilhon and Marc Schut