International Environmental Law-making and Diplomacy
Insights and Overviews
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
Bringing together contributions from diplomats, UN agency officials, lawyers and academics, this book provides insight into the evolution of international environmental law, diplomacy and negotiating techniques.
Based on first-hand experiences and extensive research, the chapters offer a blend of practice and theory, history and analysis, presenting a range of historical episodes and nuances and drawing lessons for future improvements to the processes of law-making and diplomacy.
The book represents a synthesis of the most important messages to emerge from the annual course on Multilateral Environmental Agreements, delivered to diplomats and negotiators from around the world for the last decade by the University of Eastern Finland and the United Nations Environment Programme. The book will be of interest as a guide for negotiators and as a supplementary textbook and a reference volume for a wide range of students of law and environmental issues.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: The Substance and the Structure of International Environmental Law-making and Diplomacy
Ed Couzens, Tuula Honkonen, Melissa Lewis and Tuomas Kuokkanen
2. An Introduction to the Sources, Principles and Regimes of International Environmental Law
3. Basic Concepts of Treaty Law and the Treaty-making Process
4. The Problem-solving Role of International Environmental Law, with Special Reference to Water-related Problems
5. A Juridical-Conceptual Perspective on Environmental Governance
Louis J. Kotzé
6. Building Institutional and Managerial Foundations for a New Structure for Environmental Governance with the United Nations System
7. International Environmental Diplomacy and Negotiations
Sylvia Bankobeza, Elizabeth Maruma Mrema and Kilaparti Ramakrishna
8. Learning from the Past: A Reflection on the Roles of People and Problems in the Development of International Environmental Law
Ed Couzens and Melissa Lewis
9. The Development of the Concept of Sustainable Development and the Birth of UNEP
Donald W. Kaniaru
10. An Overview of Milestones in International Environmental Diplomacy and Suggestions for Improved Environmental Governance
11. The Development of the Principle of Common but Differentiated Responsibilities and its Place in International Environmental Regimes
12. The Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety: A Personal Memoir on its Creation, Content and Implementation
Tewolde Berhan Gebre Egziabher
13. Future Prospects for Enhancing Sustainable Use of Natural Resources: The Role of International Environmental Governance after Rio+20
Niko Urho and Ville Niinistö
Tuomas Kuokkanen is a Ministerial Adviser with the Ministry of the Environment, Helsinki, Finland, and a part-time Professor of International Environmental Law at the University of Eastern Finland.
Ed Couzens is an Associate Professor at Sydney Law School, University of Sydney, Australia.
Tuula Honkonen is a Post-Doctoral Researcher at the University of Eastern Finland.
Melissa Lewis is a Doctoral Researcher in the Department of European and International Public Law at Tilburg University, the Netherlands, and an Honorary Research Fellow in the School of Law, at University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.