'International Project Management' provides specific guidelines for achieving greater project success. It is the result of 15 years of work on international projects by the authors across various project areas and industries. The authors address a need for modern techniques in project management geared and suited to international projects. They offer lessons learned from failures and problems in international projects, and suggest alternative solutions for project issues. Industry examples include manufacturing, distribution, communications, media, transportation, government, IT, marketing, energy, medical care, tourism, and others in forty countries across five continents.
The purpose of this book is to answer:
* What is an international project and why is it different?
* What are the critical success factors for managing international projects?
* How are vendors and outsourcing managed across national boundaries?
* How do businesses effectively address cross- cultural, social, and political issues?
* How are international communications set up and coordinated?
* What should a manager look for in an international project leader?
* How does a business select the right vendors for an international project?
* How are inadequate or incompatible infrastructure and technology issues overcome?
* How are the legal and bureaucratic limitations on project management dealt with?
Table of Contents
Part I: Launch Your International Project; Introduction; Define the Project; Identify the Project Leaders; Nail Down the Project Organization and Team; Develop the Project Plan; Use Technology to Your Advantage; Part II: Manage Your International Effort for Success; Manage the International Team and the Work; Manage Outsourcing and Vendors; Sustain Effective Communications; Deal with Issues and Use Experience; Part III: Types of Global Projects; Multinational Software Deployment; Mergers and Acquisitions; Marketing of a New Product; Part IV: Issues in Global Projects; Project Issues; Business Issues; Management Issues; External Issues; Appendices; Index