Internet Resources on Weight Loss and Obesity
A seasoned medical librarian provides top Internet resources on health, eating, and nutrition!
Obesity has reached epidemic proportions not only in the United States, but also around the world. How does someone with weight loss questions find the most up-to-date information available to make informed health decisions? Internet Resources on Weight Loss and Obesity provides you with a comprehensive list of the best Web sites, already evaluated for your convenience. The book helps you locate the correct information you need on obesity and ways to combat itsaving you time from having to resort to Google® or other search engines. This valuable guide, written by a seasoned medical librarian, explains the dynamic nature of the Internet, how to correctly use it, how to easily find, evaluate, and use the latest health information on weight loss, and even how to detect medical fraud.
Internet Resources on Weight Loss and ObesityInternet Resources on Weight Loss and Obesity provides important advice and instruction on mining information on this difficult health issue, and includes dozens of Web addresses that offer appropriate, free of charge information. The resource also explains ways to find additional information and support you may need using discussion groups, chat rooms, mailing lists, and newsgroups. Web sites are provided on diet and nutrition, health and diet assessment, eating disorders, obesity, weight-loss programs, bariatric (weight loss) surgery, available medications, spas and residential diet programs, and recipe information. This guide is written in clear, understandable language that even the Internet beginner can use, and provides vital information and help to anyone looking to lose weight and change his or her life.
In Internet Resources on Weight Loss and Obesity, you will learn:
- how to determine whether medical and nutrition information is factual
- how to locate helpful Web sites
- where to begin researching particular diets or weight loss methods
- how to evaluate a Web site
- how to detect outright medical fraud
- when and how to use search engines
- what is the significance of Web site address domains
- proper etiquette in Internet discussion groups
- Chapter 1. Advice for the Weight Challenged
- Introduction: Defining the Problem
- Why You Need to Read This Book
- Chapter 2. Hunting for Information
- Search Engines
- Are You the Master of Your Domain?
- Too Good to Be True: How to Sort the Fakes from the Diamonds
- Chapter 3. The Internet or the World Wide Web: Are the Terms Interchangeable?
- Discussion Groups, Chat Rooms, Mailing Lists, and Newsgroups
- Sage Advice from Cyber Aunt: Do You Want to Bare All on the Internet?
- Manners Count: Practice Good Netiquette
- Chapter 4. General Diet and Nutrition Web Sites: Nutrition 101
- Chapter 5. Health and Dietary Assessment Web Sites
- Online Calculators and Assessment Tools
- Understanding Food Labels
- Chapter 6. Eating Disorders
- Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa
- Compulsive Overeating (Binge Eating)
- Chapter 7. Obesity in Children and Teenagers
- Chapter 8. Weight-Loss Web Sites (Nonsurgical)
- General Obesity and Weight-Loss Gateways, Government Sites, and Organizations
- Commercial Weight-Loss Programs
- Low-Carbohydrate Diets
- Meal Replacement Products and Meal Purchase Programs
- Spirituality-, Religion-Based Weight Loss Programs
- Chapter 9. Weight-Loss (Bariatric) Surgery Web Sites
- Chapter 10. Prescription Medications for Weight-Loss
- Chapter 11. Weight-Loss Spas and Residential Diet Programs
- Chapter 12. Recipe Web Sites
- Reference Notes Included