Since the first edition of this landmark textbook, online shopping has grown exponentially to the point that it now threatens to eclipse the high street. With online retail offering both advantages and challenges that are distinct from traditional commerce, this textbook provides new approaches to retailing and as such helps readers to take advantage of new digital technologies.
This long-awaited new edition provides a thorough and substantial update to its solid core principle of digital retailing and its relationship with conventional retail methods. These principles are explained clearly and practically to provide students, entrepreneurs and researchers with a reliable guide to the implementation and operation of a successful online retailing business.
Updates to this edition include:
- Search engine marketing and search engine optimization.
- New and updated case studies, including Tesco’s virtual store, Ray-Ban’s smart mirror, IKEA’s mobile catalogue and Nordstrom’s TextStyle.
- Social networks and electronic word-of-mouth communication.
- A new chapter on ubiquitous retailing.
With accessibly written features such as key learning points, questions, think points and further reading, Internet Retailing and Future Perspectives is ideal for anyone using, studying or researching digital commerce.
1. The world of e-retailing
2. The business of e-retailing in practice
3. Integration of e-retailing into an organisation
4. Understanding and communicating with the e-consumer
5. Information search on the web
6. E-store design navigability, interactivity and web atmospherics
8. Branding on the web
10. E-retailing models
13. Multi-channel success and the future of e-retailing
'This book is an impressive repository of information on e-retailing and internet marketing. The comprehensive approach provided by the book shows the extent to which digital technologies have intervened in the processes that characterise the sale of goods and services online. This book will stand as an invaluable resource for students, academics and practitioners in the field.'
– Dr Alessandro Gandini, Lecturer in Digital Media Management and Innovation, King's College London, UK
'The second edition of Internet Retailing and Future Perspectives provides a comprehensive coverage of the key opportunities and challenges faced by retailers in a growing age of internet shopping and digital disruption. The text is well written and structured, and raises a series of critical questions about the operationalisation and growth of internet and digital platforms, illustrated using relevant case studies and practical examples. The glossary is also particularly useful. The text is an ideal companion for both undergraduate and postgraduate students studying business, as well as practitioners looking for insights on how to successfully navigate the world of internet retailing.'
– Jonathan Elms, PhD, The Sir Stephen Tindall Chair in Retail Management and Director of the Centre for Advanced Retail Studies (CARS), Massey University, New Zealand