The use of corpora in translation studies, both as a tool for translators and as a way of analyzing the process of translation, is growing. This book provides a much-needed assessment of how the analysis of corpus data can make a contribution to the study of translation.
Introducing Corpora in Translation Studies:
- traces the development of corpus methods within translation studies
- defines the types of corpora used for translation research, discussing their design and application and presenting tools for extracting and analyzing data
- examines research potential and methodological limitatis
- considers some uses of corpora by translators and in translator training
- features research questions, case studies and discussion points to provide a practical guide to using corpora in translation studies.
Offering a comprehensive account of the use of corpora by today's translators and researchers, Introducing Corpora in Translation Studies is the definitive guide to a fast-developing area of study.
Table of Contents
List of Figures List of Abbreviations and Acronyms Acknowledgements Introduction Aim of this Book Outline 1. Introducing Translation Studies Research 2. Corpus Linguistics and Translation 3. Parallel Corpora 4. Comparable Corpora 5. Corpus Design 6. Corpus Tools and Analysis 7. Features of Translation 8. Translators, Style and Ideology 9. Corpora in Translator Training 10. Corpora in Translation Practice Conclusion Glossary Bibliography
Maeve Olohan is Senior Lecturer in the School of Languages, Linguistics and Cultures at the University of Manchester, UK. Her research interests revolve around empirical investigations of translation process and product. She is editor of Intercultural Faultlines: Research Models in Translation Studies I (2000) and of four volumes of Translation Studies Abstracts (1999-2002).
'Olohan's textbook will, no doubt, be a "must read" not just among researchers in translation studies interested in corpus methods, but also among corpus linguists interested in translation.' - The Linguist List
'Coverage of the major challenges and approaches is comprehensive and thorough ... this is the best textbook on corpora of and for translation.' - BAAL News
'This book is truly an excellent resource ... Well-written and clearly structured ... [the] author's focus on the translator is well motivated, consistent and respectful, all of which are important qualities and worthy of emulation.' – Target