Andrew Furness and Martin Muckett give an introduction to all areas of fire safety management, including the legal framework, causes and prevention of fire and explosions, fire protection measures, fire risk assessment, and fire investigation. Fire safety is not treated as an isolated area but linked into an effective health and safety management system.
Introduction to Fire Safety Management has been developed for the NEBOSH Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management and is also suitable for other NVQ level 3 and 4 fire safety courses. The text is highly illustrated in full colour, easy to read and supported by checklists, report forms and record sheets. This practical approach makes the book a valuable reference for health and safety professionals, fire officers, facility managers, safety reps, managers, supervisors and HR personnel in companies, as well as fire safety engineers, architects, construction managers and emergency fire services personnel.
Andrew Furness CFIOSH, GIFireE, Dip2OSH, MIIRSM, MRSH, is Managing Director of Salvus Consulting Limited who specialise in Fire Safety. He was the chairman of the NEBOSH / IOSH working party that developed the NEBOSH Fire Safety and Risk Management certificate.
Martin Muckett MA, MBA, CMIOSH, MIFireE, Dip2OSH, former Principal Health and Safety Advisor to The Fire Service Inspectorate and Principal Fire Safety Officer, Martin is currently Salvus Consulting Limited’s Senior Fire Safety Trainer / Consultant.
Table of Contents
1. Fire safety foundations
2. Safety policy
3. Organising for safety
4. Safety culture
5. Principles of risk assessment
6. General principles of control
7. Principles of fire and explosion
8. Causes and prevention of fire
9. Fire protection in buildings
10. Safety of people in the event of a fire
11. Monitoring, auditing and reviewing fire safety systems
12. Reactive monitoring – reporting, recording and investigation
13. Environmental impact of fire
14. Fire risk assessment
15. Summary of key legal requirements
"a first-class introduction ... the market leader in the principle and practice of fire management ... highly recommended for its coverage, quality of writing, and ease of understanding."
- Review in SAFETY & HEALTH PRACTITIONER, July 2008
“straightforward, with easy-to-follow arguments and advice ... I have no hesitation in recommending this book to all who have a responsibility for ensuring the safety of others from fire.”
- Review in HEALTH AND SAFETY AT WORK MAGAZINE, August 2008