Introduction to Genetics: A Molecular Approach
Free Shipping (6-12 Business Days)
Genetics today is inexorably focused on DNA. The theme of Introduction to Genetics: A Molecular Approach is therefore the progression from molecules (DNA and genes) to processes (gene expression and DNA replication) to systems (cells, organisms and populations). This progression reflects both the basic logic of life and the way in which modern biological research is structured. The molecular approach is particularly suitable for the large number of students for whom genetics is a part of a broader program in biology, biochemistry, the biomedical sciences, and biotechnology.
Introduction to Genetics presents the basic facts and concepts with enough depth of knowledge to stimulate students to move on to more advanced aspects of the subject. The book is divided into three parts. Part 1 examines the function of the gene as a unit of biological information. Part 2 studies the role of the gene as a unit of inheritance. And Part 3 explores some of the areas of research that are responsible for the high profile that genetics has in our modern world, from agriculture and industry to medicine and forensics, and the ethical challenges that genetic knowledge imparts.
Introduction to Genetics is available for purchase as an e-book in its entirety or as individual chapters, and as a 1-year or 6-month rental.
1. The Scope of Modern Genetics
PART 1. GENES AS UNITS OF BIOLOGICAL INFORMATION
4. Transcription of DNA to RNA
5. Types of RNA Molecule: Messenger RNA
6. Types of RNA Molecule: Noncoding RNA
7. The Genetic Code
8. Protein Synthesis
9. Control of Gene Expression
PART 2. GENES AS UNITS OF INHERITANCE
10. DNA Replication
11. Inheritance of Genes during Eukaryotic Cell Division
12. Inheritance of Genes in Bacteria
13. Inheritance of Genes during Virus Infection Cycles
14. Inheritance of DNA Molecules during Eukaryotic Sexual Reproduction
15. Inheritance of Genes during Eukaryotic Sexual Reproduction
16. Mutation and DNA Repair
17. Inheritance of Genes in Populations
PART 3. GENETICS IN OUR MODERN WORLD
18. Genes in Differentiation and Development
19. The Human Genome
20. Genes and Medicine
21. DNA in Forensics and Studies of Human History
22. Genes in Industry and Agriculture
23. The Ethical Issues Raised by Modern Genetics
We offer free standard shipping on every order across the globe.
- Free Shipping (6-12 Business Days)