Introduction to Interactive Digital Media Concept and Practice
This book offers a clearly written and engaging introduction to the basics of interactive digital media.
As our reliance on and daily usage of websites, mobile apps, kiosks, games, VR/AR and devices that respond to our commands has increased, the need for practitioners who understand these technologies is growing. Author Julia Griffey provides a valuable guide to the fundamentals of this field, offering best practices and common pitfalls throughout. The book also notes opportunities within the field of interactive digital media for professionals with different types of skills, and interviews with experienced practitioners offer practical wisdom for readers.
Additional features of this book include:
- An overview of the history, evolution and impact of interactive media;
- A spotlight on the development process and contributing team members;
- Analysis of the components of interactive digital media and their design function (graphics, animation, audio, video, typography, color);
- An introduction to coding languages for interactive media; and
- A guide to usability in interactive media.
Introduction to Interactive Digital Media will help both students and professionals understand the varied creative, technical, and collaborative skills needed in this exciting and emerging field.
Why Learn About Interactive Digital Media?
How this Book is Organized
1. What is Interactive Digital Media?
What Makes Interactive Digital Media Different from Other Forms of Media?
Forms of Interactive Digital Media
Developing Interactive Digital Media
Essential Skills for the Interactive Digital Media Developer
The Impact of Interactive Digital Media
Career Opportunities in Interactive Digital Media
Practitioner Interview—Heidi McDonald
2. History of Interactive Digital Media
Origins of the Computer
Evolution of the Computer
The Computer Gets Personal
The Graphical User Interface
The Birth of the Internet
Growth of the Internet
The Birth of the World Wide Web
Interactive Digital Media in the 2010s and Beyond
Practitioner Interview—Elizabeth (Jake) Feinler
3. The Interactive Digital Media Development Process and Team
Pitching the Project
The Development Process
Practitioner Interview—Tim Frick
4. Fundamental Components of Interactive Digital Media
Analog vs. Digital Media
Bits and Bytes
Analog to Digital
The Pros of Digital Media
Description vs. Command-Based Encoding of Media
Color on the Screen
Practitioner Interview—Chris Cox
5. Media Content
3D Graphics and Animation
Video in Interactive Digital Media
Practitioner Interview—Ana Monte
6. Aesthetics in Interactive Digital Media
Practitioner Interview—Brian Lucid
7. Authoring Interactive Digital Media
Making Video Games: Casual and Console
Building Interactive Media for Performance and Public Spaces
Practitioner Interview—Jans Carton
Why Good Usability is Important
Achieving Good Usability in Every Phase
Guidelines for Good Usability
Guidelines for Fun
Usability and Play Testing
Practitioner Interview—Julie Gaieski