Introduction to Logic
Introduction to Logic is clear and concise, uses interesting examples (many philosophical in nature), and has easy-to-use proof methods. Its key features, retained in this Third Edition, include:
- simpler ways to test arguments, including an innovative proof method and the star test for syllogisms;
- a wide scope of materials, suiting it for introductory or intermediate courses;
- engaging examples, from philosophy and everyday life;
- useful for self-study and preparation for standardized tests, like the LSAT;
- a reasonable price (a third the cost of some competitors); and
- exercises that correspond to the free LogiCola instructional program.
This Third Edition:
- improves explanations, especially on areas that students find difficult;
- has a fuller explanation of traditional Copi proofs and of truth trees; and
- updates the companion LogiCola software, which now is touch friendly (for use on Windows tablets and touch monitors), installs more easily on Windows and Macintosh, and adds exercises on Copi proofs and on truth trees. You can still install LogiCola for free (from http://www.harryhiker.com/lc or http://www.routledge.com/cw/gensler).
"Gensler’s book would shine as the primary text in an advanced logic course, as a common text in a scaffolded sequence of courses, or as a supplemental text in a course that focuses on the philosophical issues raised within and by formal logic. His writing style is engaging, and his explanations of difficult philosophical concepts are exceptionally accessible and clear. He is, in fact, a joy to read in this respect."
–Dona Warren in Teaching Philosophy
"Equal parts eloquent and instructive, Gensler has once again provided an invaluable resource for those looking to master the fundamental principles of logic. The Third Edition improves upon an already exceptional text by infusing the introduction of new concepts with enhanced clarity, rendering even the most challenging material a joy to teach. The updated LogicCola program is sure to become an indispensable component of my own introductory course."
--Christopher Haley, Waynesburg University, USA
"This Third Edition improves on a book that was already superb. I have used Gensler’s book to teach introductory courses in logic to undergraduate philosophers and linguists, and the response from the students has always been positive. They appreciate its clear explanation and the wealth of examples and practice opportunities it provides. In particular, the translation exercises help to refine logico-semantic intuitions. The supporting LogiCola software, which is feely downloadable, is a great support tool."
--Mark Jary, University of Roehampton, UK
"The Third Edition is an improved version of an already excellent introduction to logic. Gensler’s Reductio proof procedure enables a seamless transition from elementary propositional logic to quantification theory and more advanced modal logics. Many of the exercises involve formulations of philosophical problems. The explanations of advanced topics have been greatly improved. The upgraded LogiCola program now supports alternative proof procedures. This book is a winner!"
--Michael Bradie, Bowling Green State University, USA