Introduction to Python Programming is written for students who are beginners in the field of computer programming. This book presents an intuitive approach to the concepts of Python Programming for students. This book differs from traditional texts not only in its philosophy but also in its overall focus, level of activities, development of topics, and attention to programming details. The contents of the book are chosen with utmost care after analyzing the syllabus for Python course prescribed by various top universities in USA, Europe, and Asia. Since the prerequisite know-how varies significantly from student to student, the book’s overall overture addresses the challenges of teaching and learning of students which is fine-tuned by the authors’ experience with large sections of students. This book uses natural language expressions instead of the traditional shortened words of the programming world. This book has been written with the goal to provide students with a textbook that can be easily understood and to make a connection between what students are learning and how they may apply that knowledge.
Features of this book
- This book does not assume any previous programming experience, although of course, any exposure to other programming languages is useful
- This book introduces all of the key concepts of Python programming language with helpful illustrations
- Programming examples are presented in a clear and consistent manner
- Each line of code is numbered and explained in detail
- Use of f-strings throughout the book
- Hundreds of real-world examples are included and they come from fields such as entertainment, sports, music and environmental studies
- Students can periodically check their progress with in-chapter quizzes that appear in all chapters
Table of Contents
1. Introduction 2. Parts of Python Programming Language 3. Control Flow Statements 4. Functions 5. Strings 6. Lists 7. Dictionaries 8. Tuples and Sets 9. Files 10. Regular Expression Operations 11. Object-Oriented Programming 12. Introduction to Data Science Appendix-A: Debugging Python Code Bibliography Solutions
Dr.Gowrishankar S. is currently working as Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Dr.Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Bengaluru, India. He earned his PhD in Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India in 2010 and MTech in Software Engineering and BE in Computer Science and Engineering from Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belagavi, India, in the years 2005 and 2003 respectively. From 2011 to 2014 he worked as senior research scientist and tech lead at Honeywell Technology Solutions, Bengaluru, India. He has been awarded with the Technical and Innovation Award and Individual Excellence Award for his contribution towards successful delivery of projects at Honeywell Technology Solutions. He has published several papers in various reputed International Journals and Conferences. He is serving as editor and reviewer for various prestigious International Journals. He is also member of IEEE, ACM, CSI and ISTE. He has delivered many keynote addresses and invited talks throughout India on a variety of subjects related to Computer Science and Engineering. He was instrumental in organizing several conferences, workshops and seminars. He has also served on the panel of number of Academic Bodies of Universities and Autonomous Colleges as a BOS and BOE member. His current research interests are mainly focused on Data Science, including its technical aspects as well as its applications and implications. Specifically, he is interested in the applications of Machine Learning, Data Mining and Big Data analytics in Healthcare. He writes articles on his personal blog at http://www.gowrishankarnath.com. His Twitter handle is @g_s_nath.
Mrs. Veena A. is currently working as Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Dr.Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Bengaluru, India, since January 2016. She completed her MTech in Computer Science and Engineering from PESIT, Bengaluru, India and BE in Information Science and Engineering from Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belagavi, India, in the years 2011 and 2004 respectively. From 2004 to 2006 she worked as Software Developer at Envision Network Technologies, Bengaluru, India, and worked as member technical staff from 2006 to 2007 at CDAC, Pune, India. She has published several papers in various reputed International Journals and Conferences. Her current research interests are Machine Learning, Data Mining and Big Data Analytics in Healthcare. She is currently pursuing her PhD in Computer Science and Engineering from VTU, Belagavi, India.