Introduction to Steels Processing, Properties, and Applications
The book briefly describes the structure, properties and applications of various grades of steel, primarily aimed at non-metallurgical students from other engineering streams. The book consists of nine chapters covering most of the important types of steels and their physical metallurgy, microstructure and engineering applications including iron-carbon diagram, heat treatment, surface hardening methods, effect of alloying, specific applications, selection of materials, case studies and so forth. The book also contains subjective and objective questions aimed at exam preparation.
- Exclusive title aimed at introduction to steels for non-metallurgy audience
- Includes microstructure, composition, and properties of all the most commonly used steels
- Describes the heat treatments and the required alloying additions to process steel for the intended applications
- Discusses effects of alloying elements on steel
- Explores development of steels for specialized areas such as the automobile, aerospace, and nuclear industries
1. Iron Carbon diagram. 2. Heat treatment of steels. 3. Surface hardening. 4. Plain carbon steels. 5. Effect of alloying elements in steel. 6. Low alloy steels. 7. High strength steels. 8. High alloy steels. 9. Selection of Materials. Questions. Index. Bibliography.