This book is designed as an undergraduate text for water and environmental engineering courses and as preliminary reading for postgraduate courses in water and environmental engineering- including introductory coverage of irrigation and drainage, water resources, hydrology, hydraulic structures, and more. The text and exercises have been classroom tested by undergraduate water and environmental engineering students and are augmented by material prepared for extramural short courses. It covers basic concepts of agricultural irrigation and drainage, including planning and design, surface intakes, economics, environmental impacts wetlands, and legal issues.
- Numerous illustrations throughout to clarify the concepts presented
- Examines and compares the advantages and disadvantages of several methods of irrigation practice
- Explains the integral components including pumps, filters, piping, valves, and more
- Considers fertilizer application and nutrient management
This comprehensive and well-illustrated book will be of great interest to students, professionals, and researchers involved with all aspects of water engineering, hydrology, and irrigation.
Table of Contents
1. Hydraulic Engineering. 2. River Engineering. 3. Dams. 4. Hydroinformatics. 5. Hydrogeology. 6. Hydrology Science. 7. Water Resources Science. 8. Aquatic Ecosystems. 9. Water Quality Sciences. 10. Sewage Treatment. 11. Surface Irrigation. 12. Drip Irrigation. 13. Sprinkler Irrigation. 14. Water Reuse for Irrigation. 15. Irrigation Systems and Structures. 16. Agricultural Drainage.
Mohammad Albaji is a faculty member at Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz, Iran. He earned his PhD in Irrigation and Drainage Engineering from Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz, Iran. Dr. Albaji is active in the fields of irrigation and drainage, precision irrigation, agricultural water management, water productivity, water & soil salinity and alkalinity, soil science, land suitability for irrigation, land suitability for crops, and has more than 100 publications in reputed journals, books, and refereed conferences. He has published 3 Handbooks; "Handbook of Irrigation System Selection for Semi-Arid Regions" at 2020, "Handbook of Technical Terms of Soil and Water Engineering" at 2021 and "Handbook of Irrigation Hydrology and Management (Volume 4): Irrigation Practices in Arid and Semi-Arid Zones" at 2022.He has been working as a reviewer for many reputed journals, such as Agricultural Water Management, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Water Resources Management, Environmental Earth Sciences, Environment, Development and Sustainability, Transaction of the Royal Society of South Africa, Clean Soil, Air, Water, etc. He had several executive posts such as dean of Jundishapur’s Water and Energy Research Institute (Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz; 2016–2018), head of Soil Science Department (Khuzestan Water & Power Authority; 2000–2012), etc. He has membership in the International Center for Biosaline Agriculture (ICBA), American Society of Civil Engineering (ASCE), etc.