In recent years, there has been a sharp increase in anti-Muslim attacks. What is driving the proliferation of these hate crimes? Why are Muslims being demonised? Building on current research and drawing upon real-life examples and case studies, this book provides an accessible introduction to Islamophobia and Islamophobic hate crimes along with the various responses to this form of victimization. Chapters cover a range of topics including:
• Definitions of hate crime and Islamophobia
• Islamophobic hate crime online
• Gender and Islamophobia
• Media representations of Islamophobia
• Institutional Islamophobia
As one of the first student resources dedicated to the subject of Islamophobia, this book will be instructive and important reading for those engaged in a range of topics in criminology, including hate crime, victimology and victimization, crime and media, and gender and crime.
"It is a pleasure to commend this timely, comprehensive, and well-written book on a subject that now features on a range of degree courses. The subject of Islamophobia is inherently interdisciplinary, and the authors are to be congratulated for synthesising a vast body of research and writing, in order to make the topic accessible for students. The book is based on their own world class research and longstanding professional engagement with the subject, alongside sustained involvement with teaching and learning. The authors bring the topic of Islamophobia alive, resulting in a book that will undoubtedly enthuse and inspire students about an issue of increasing social and political importance."
Sophie Gilliat-Ray, Professor of Religious Studies, and Director of the Islam-UK Centre, Cardiff University, UK
1. Introduction; 2. Understanding Islamophobic Hate Crime; 3. Islamophobia Online and in the Digital World; 4. Gendered Islamophobia; 5. Islamophobia and Perceived Muslimness; 6. Using Autoethnography for Islamophobic Hate Crimes; 7. Institutional Islamophobia: Policing, Profiling and Hate; 8. Islamophobia, Terrorism and the Media; 9. Impacts of Islamophobic Hate Crime; 10. Islamophobic Hate Crime in Europe; 11. Conclusion - Study Skills and Top Tips