Japanese Public Sentiment on South Korea
Popular Opinion and International Relations
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after December 1, 2021
The contributors to this book demonstrate empirically how Japanese public opinion is formed amid strained Japan–South Korea relations.
Studying public opinion in Japan and South Korea is critically important for exploring the causes and consequences of the deterioration of the relationship between the two countries. Japan–South Korea relations are at their worst level since World War II. Faced with North Korea’s nuclear threat and China’s regional and global advances, Japan and South Korea are each allied with the U.S. and function as key stabilizers within the Asia–Pacific ‘Pax Americana’. These relations play a decisive role in East Asia’s international security.
The contributors explore a variety of social scientific methodologies - both conventional quantitative surveys and experiments, as well as quantitative text analyses of published books and computational analyses of social media data - to disentangle the dynamic relationship between Japanese public opinion and Japan–South Korea relations.
An invaluable resource for scholars of East Asian regional security issues.
Table of Contents
- Bringing People’s Voices Back in Japan–South Korea Relations
- South Korea-Japan FCR Crisis and Public Opinion Gathering Survey Data in Real Time Crisis Development
- When Will Japan’s Apology Lead to Reconciliation with South Korea?
- Analyzing "Anti-Korean" Hate Books in Japan
- Network analysis of the Tweets on South Korea–Japan conflict: A case of the trade dispute in 2019
Shohei Doi,Kazunori Inamasu, Shoko Kohama, Atsushi Tago
Tetsuro Kobayashi, Atsushi Tago, Kyu S. Hahn, Yuki Asaba
Dongwoo Lim, Fujio Toriumi, Kaori Hayashi
6. Semantic Structure of the Comfort Women Issue in Japanese and South Korean Newspapers
Yuki Ogawa;Tetsuro Kobayashi
- The Influence of Anti-Korean Sentiment on Communications with Political Parties
Mitsuo Yoshida; Fujio Toriumi
Tetsuro Kobayashi is Associate Professor in the Department of Media and Communication at City University of Hong Kong.
Atsushi Tago is Professor in the School of Political Science and Economics at Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan and Global Fellow of Peace Research Institute, Oslo (PRIO), Norway.