This volume features powerful essays by Edward Alexander on the phenomenon of anti-Zionism on the part of the Jewish intelligentsia. It also analyzes the explosive growth of traditional anti-Semitism, especially in Europe, among intellectuals and Muslims. Alexander notes that anti-Zionism has established a presence even in Israel, where it frequently takes the form of intellectuals sympathizing with their country's enemies and perversely apologizing for their own existence.
Alexander begins with an examination of the origins of Jewish self-hatred in nineteenth-century Europe. He then explores the mindset of disaffected Jews in reacting, or failing to react, to the two events that shape modern Jewry: the Holocaust and the founding of the State of Israel.
The book concludes with a focus on contemporary anti-Zionism, including three essays about the role played by Jews in the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions Movement to expel Israel from the family of nations. A final essay addresses the need for American Jews to decide whether they are going to judge Judaism by the standards of The New York Times or The New York Times by the standards of Judaism.
1. Jewish Self-Hatred
2. Disraeli and Marx: Stammgenosse?
3. Liberalism and Zionism
4. What the Holocaust Does Not Teach
5. Why Jews Must Behave Better than Everybody Else: The Theory and Practice of the Double Standard 31
6. The Moral Failure of American Jewish Intellectuals: Past and Present
7. The Holocaust . . . and Me
8. Noam Chomsky and Holocaust Denial
9. Antisemitism Denial: The Berkeley School
10. Michael Lerner: Hillary Clinton's Jewish Rasputin
11. Ashamed Jews: The Finkler Question
12. Israelis against Themselves: The Intellectual Origins of Oslo and Intifada II
13. Jewish Israel-Haters Convert Their Dead Grandmothers: A New Mormonism?
14. Jewish Boycotters of Israel: How the Academic Boycott Began
15. America's Academic Boycotters: The Enemies of Israel Neither Slumber nor Sleep
16. Jews against Themselves: The BDS Movement and Modern Apostasy
17. Jewish Survivors and Their Progeny against Israel
18. Choose Your Side: The New York Times or Judaism