Just Enough R! An Interactive Approach to Machine Learning and Analytics: presents just enough of the R language, machine learning algorithms, statistical methodology, and analytics for the reader to learn how to find interesting structure in data. The approach might be called “seeing then doing” as it first gives step by step explanations using simple, understandable examples of how the various machine learning algorithms work independent of any programming language. This is followed by detailed scripts written in R that apply the algorithms to solve nontrivial problems with real data. The script code is provided allowing the reader to execute the scripts as they study the explanations given in the text.
- Gets you quickly using R as a problem solving tool.
- Uses RStudio’s integrated development environment.
- Shows how to interface R with SQLite.
- Includes examples using R’s Rattle Graphical User Interface.
- Requires no prior knowledge of R, machine learning, or computer programming.
- Offers over 50 Scripts written in R. Several of the scripts are problem solving templates that with slight modification, can be used again and again.
- Covers the most popular machine learning techniques including ensemble-based methods and logistic regression.
- Includes end of chapter exercises many of which can be solved by modifying existing scripts.
- Includes datasets from several areas including business, health and medicine, and science.
About the Author
Richard J. Roiger is a professor emeritus at Minnesota State University, Mankato where he taught and performed research in the Computer & Information Science Department for over 30 years.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Machine Learning
2. Introduction to R
3. Data Structures & Manipulation
4. Preparing the Data
5. Supervised Statistical Techniques
6. Tree-Based Methods
7. Rule-Based Methods
8. Neural Networks
9. Formal Evaluation Techniques
10. Support Vector Machines
11. Unsupervised Clustering Techniques
12. A Case Study in Predicting Treatment Outcome
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Statistics
- COMPUTERS / Intelligence (AI) & Semantics
- COMPUTERS / Programming / Games
- COMPUTERS / Computer Science
- COMPUTERS / Data Processing
- COMPUTERS / Database Management / General
- COMPUTERS / Database Management / Data Mining
- COMPUTERS / Machine Theory
- COMPUTERS / Natural Language Processing
- COMPUTERS / Neural Networks
- COMPUTERS / Programming / General
- COMPUTERS / Programming / Algorithms
- COMPUTERS / Data Modeling & Design
- COMPUTERS / Mathematical & Statistical Software