Toyota's world-renowned success proves that just-in-time (JIT) makes other manufacturing practices obsolete. This simple but powerful book is based on the seminars given by Taiichi Ohno and other senior production staff to introduce Toyota's own supplier companies to JIT. It teaches the philosophy and implementation of what many call the most efficient production system in the world.
- Provides a clear structure for an introductory JIT training program.
- Explains every aspect of the JIT system, including how to set it up and how to refine it once it's in place.
- Shows how to use a simple visual system to control the production process.
Every day more American companies are learning that JIT works outside Japan. Now you can get started with this step-by-step book which guides you through the implementation process. Every engineer, manager, supervisor, and worker should read this book to get the clearest, simplest, and most complete introduction to JIT available in English.
Results at American companies after reading this book:
- Lead-time on one product was reduced from 12 weeks to 4 days.
- Setup time on a large blanking press was reduced from eight hours to one minute and four seconds.
- Work-in-process has been reduced 50 percent plant-wide.
- Factory floor space was opened up 30 to 40 percent in every on of their plants.
"In light of Toyota's success, the concepts presented in this book should be of interest to anyone interested in improving their production methods."
"Nobody tells it as well as the Japanese who were on the shop floor when it was developed."
President's Letter , Prentice-Hall, Inc. 06/01/04