- Available for pre-order on May 29, 2023. Item will ship after June 19, 2023
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
Kristin Linklater is one of the most internationally recognised names in the field of voice training, and this volume explores her work and life whilst also putting her work into practice. Charting the development of Linklater's process, including her work at LAMDA, the Lincoln Centre, NYU, Columbia, and the KLVC on Orkney, the book provides a comprehensive overview of one of the world’s leading voice coaches.
This book contains:
- A detailed biography of Linklater’s life, including her work with Iris Warren at LAMDA, as well as the founding of her own companies and the KLVC on Orkney
- Detailed analysis of her key text, Freeing the Natural Voice and her work with Carol Gilligan on The Company of Women, an all-female Shakespeare company they co-conceived
- A comprehensive set of exercises – several of these previously unpublished
This book offers essential reading and an invaluable practice handbook to the contemporary performer, voice teacher and actor trainer. As a first step towards critical understanding, and as an initial exploration before going on to further, primary research, Routledge Performance Practitioners offer unbeatable value for today’s student.
Table of Contents
1. Biography in Social and Artistic Context 2. Summary and Analysis of Freeing the Natural Voice: Imagery and Art in the Practice of Voice and Text 3. Linklater’s Voice Work and the Company of Women 4. Practical Exercises
Bernadette Cronin lectures in Voice, Devised Adaptation and Performance Practice at University College Cork, Ireland. An actor, theatre-maker and deviser, she is a designated Linklater Voice Teacher and a founder member of Gaitkrash Theatre Company www.gaitkrash.com. She holds a PhD in Theatre from the University of Exeter, UK.
Regina Crowley lectures in Voice, Performance and Directing at the Cork School of Music, Ireland. She has studied and worked with Linklater since 2006 and has assisted her at training sessions and teacher designations. A performer, director, and deviser, she co-founded Gaitkrash Theatre Company - www.gaitkrash.com.