Improve decision-making skills for community organizations and their leadersfrom a participatory perspective!
This book will show you how (and why) participatory communities come into being and what they can accomplish, regardless of the current political climate. It also examines leadershipand the skills community leaders need to develop to be most effective. You’ll find ethnographic and psychosocial perspectives on the relationship between families and community organizations, leadership interventions designed to facilitate more effective decision-making, and moreall from organizations making a very real difference in a country that has had a strong community work tradition since the 1960s.
This book presents an essential overview of the dynamics of urban low-income communities in Venezuela. With examples drawn from organizations designed to help a population that has been neglected by its government, Leadership and Organization for Community Prevention and Intervention in Venezuela is a unique source of inspiration and practical know-how. The intensive training workshops and restructuring projects documented in this book have proven to be positive and effective tools, strengthening Venezuelan communities despite the political unrest that has plagued the country.
In Leadership and Organization for Community Prevention and Intervention in Venezuela, you’ll learn how community organizations are:
- providing shelter for people displaced by natural disasters
- providing essential services when the government can’tor won’t
- establishing community leadership rolesand helping community leaders to work more effectively
- transforming the perspectives of community leadersfrom narcissistic to altruistic
- and much more!
Table of Contents
- Community Organization and Leadership in Venezuela: A Prologue (Irma Serrano-García)
- Presentation (Maritza Montero)
- Organization and Leadership in the Participatory Community (Euclides Sánchez)
- Moral Dilemmas of Community Leaders and Sense of Community (Levy Farías and Gloria Perdomo)
- Community Leaders: Beyond Duty and Above Self-Contentedness (Maritza Montero)
- Metadecision: Training Community Leaders for Effective Decision-Making (Eneiza Hernández)
- Community and Families: Social Organization and Interaction Patterns (Maria Luisa Lodo-Platone)
- Reference Notes Included