Lean Design Management
The fields of design management and lean construction appear to be developing independently. This volume brings together authors from four continents to argue that lean thinking should be integral to design management in the fields of architecture, engineering and construction (AEC).
The publication brings together a variety of perspectives on lean design management as experienced in Africa, South America, Australasia and Europe. Themes covered include:
- lean thinking and flexible building solutions
- quality and flow of information in fourteen sub-projects of a major airport project
- Ghanaian consultants' perspective on process waste
- target costing and its application to social housing projects in Brazil
- concept of 'first' and 'last' value, drawing on social housing projects in Chile
- development of a lean design management model specifically for remote sites.
The papers offer a mix of theoretical materials and empirical research findings, providing a unique insight into aspects of lean design management.
This book was published as a special issue of Architectural Engineering and Design Management.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Lean Design Management 2. Layered Project–Layered Process: Lean Thinking and Flexible Solutions 3. An Empirical Study of Information Flows in Multidisciplinary Civil Engineering Design Teams using Lean Measures 4. Management of Waste in the Building Design Process: The Ghanaian Consultants’ Perspective 5. An Investigation into the Adoption of Target Costing on Brazilian Public Social Housing Projects 6. Introducing the Concept of First and Last Value to Aid Lean Design: Learning from Social Housing Projects in Chile 7. Integration of Lean Design and Design Management and its Influence on the Development of a Multidisciplinary Design Management Model for Remote Site Projects
Stephen Emmitt is Professor of Architectural Practice in the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering at theUniversity of Bath, UK. He is an architect and has written widely on design management in AEC.