The manufacturing and service sector needs to resolve a lot of issues relating to products, process and service in everyday operation. Successful resolution depends on the methodology, rigor and systematic implementation techniques. The essential purpose of this book is to impart the necessary knowledge to the reader about concepts in six sigma problem-solving providing sufficient knowledge of problem lifecycle and ways to address the various issues arising therein. The 7 QC tools and A3 strategy are described and analyzed in detail with various examples encompassing a step by step approach a professional must know to address a problem in an industrial engineering set up.
- Conceptualizes six sigmas problem-solving providing sufficient knowledge of problem lifecycle and ways to address the various issues for manufacturing industry professionals
- Enables effective use of 7 QC tools for solving problems
- Addresses the problem- solving part very specifically in all the contexts of PDCA cycle of improvement, DMAIC methodology of organizational transformation, and TPM & TQM culture of productivity and quality improvement
- Written with A3 theme throughout enabling each problem-solving tool to follow a structured approach
- Includes relevant and practical examples and applications
Table of Contents
1. Introduction. 2. Introduction to Problem-solving. 3. General philosophy of problem solving. 4. Fundamental steps of problem solving. 5. Generating ideas and organizing basic information. 6. Techniques and tools for collecting data and collating information. 7. Techniques and tools for systematic analysis. 8. Techniques and tools for implementation of solution and change management.
Maharshi Samanta is a seasoned six sigma professional, a prolific speaker, and an unbound thinker in corporate world. He earned his Masters in Chemical Technology and devoted his working life in many facets of engineering, from manufacturing viewing windows for atomic reactors, displays for Mach 2 fighter jets to pioneering development work in the field of plasma displays. He presented several scientific and technological papers in international forums and patented several of his breakthrough inventions.
An alumnus of IIM Calcutta, a visionary leader in manufacturing, he hovers around terms in lean operations, management by quality, organizational behavior, strategy and bottom line growth. He is immersed in the field of world class manufacturing concepts and lives a life of an ascetic daily problem solver.
As an avid reader and adroit writer, he goes directly to his disciples’ mind with down-to-earth language, and witty anecdotes. No wonder in this book, a consummate soccer player drives straight into the heartland of industrial problem-solving.