Lean System Management for Leaders
A New Performance Management Toolset
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
The concepts of quality management have been progressively interpreted and stylized by various practitioners over time, particularly through specific successful applications of its use. Its current predominant application has been narrowed even more through the focused practice of Lean Six Sigma. Through that narrowing, it has largely failed and given up on the application of quality practice to entire organizational systems—even though they are essential to designing and sustaining quality practice over time.
This book corrects that problem and introduces a broad new framework for system management, including practical tools and guidance for its use. It provides the long-promised "profound knowledge of systems" and shows how structured systems can unify and align quality practices throughout an entire organization. In addition, it introduces a framework for objectively measuring the maturity of systems and processes to provide an organizational quality scorecard, essential for sustainability.
Throughout this book, you will learn:
- Descriptions and definitions of processes, systems, and projects and how they come together to provide an overall organization-wide framework for management and change.
- Tools and practices for identifying and controlling systems through system mapping.
- How to use a system management standard to objectively score process maturity, potentially leading to improvements in efficiency, effectiveness, and delivered value of all managed work enterprises.
- How system management fits together with process management and project management to create an agile framework for overall organizational quality.
Table of Contents
- Introducing System Management
- Systems, Processes, and Projects – and their Role in Managing Work
- Starting your System Map
- Defining Principal Activity Groups
- Defining Influencing Factors
- Defining Metrics and Indicators for your System Map
- Application of the System Management Standard
- The Overlap of System and Process Management
- The Overlap of System and Project Management
- The Overlap of Systems and Frameworks
- Wicked Problems, Logos, and the Future of System Science
Appendix A – Template for System Mapping
Appendix B – Lexicon of Key Terms
Appendix C – Auditable Quality Standards: Purpose and Origin
Appendix D – System Management as an Agile Quality Framework
Appendix E – Systems Management to Launch the Next Era of Quality
Richard Mallory, MM, PMP is a principal consultant and Senior Project Manager in government practice for CPS HR Consulting of Sacramento, CA. He is the immediate past Chairman of the American Society for Quality Government Division (2013-2015), and currently chairs its Center for Auditable Quality Standards in Government. Mallory has unique knowledge of government operations obtained as a consultant to hundreds of jurisdictions and agencies around the United States, and as a former Director of the California Department of Housing and Community Development (1997-1998) and the California-Nevada State Director for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (1986-1993). Mallory is a seven-time Examiner for the Baldrige Quality Award, six times for the California State Award and once at the National level. Mallory is author of Quality Standards for Highly Effective Government, and Management Strategy: Creating Excellent Organizations. He holds a Master’s Degree in Management and is a Certified Project Management Professional.
"Looking at the organization from the system's viewpoint provides a much more comprehensive understanding of its important functions and helps to define many new improvement opportunities. I was impressed with how the author got right to the key points, saving the reader valuable time."
Dr. H James Harrington, CEO of Harrington management systems Los Gatos California
Author of the seminal management book, Business Process Improvement (1991)
"Richard Mallory’s groundbreaking work is a must-read for government managers. His framework for system management is both logical and applicable for the transformational leadership today’s organizational environment demands."
Denzil Verardo, Ph.D., Commissioner California Senate Advisory Commission on
Cost Control in State Government
"This book is about helping organizations achieve the highest level of efficiency and performance. It provides a solid foundation that will help any leader in any sector operate as a cohesive enterprise within a results-driven professional system."
Mary Jo Caldwell, Leading AdvancePHX for the City of Phoenix, and former Director of Continuous Improvement for the State of Minnesota.
"Mallory provides an effective, clear, and easy to use framework for managers to use to establish their systems, and a maturity scorecard to evaluate the relative maturity of those systems. This is especially valuable in creating a new toolset to document the complexities of ISO 9001."
Christena Shepherd, MA, Organizational Management, Huntsville, AL. Member leader of the American Society for Quality and an ASQ Senior Member