Ideal for both undergraduate and graduate students in the fields of geography, forestry, ecology, geographic information science, remote sensing, and photogrammetric engineering, LiDAR Remote Sensing and Applications expertly joins LiDAR principles, data processing basics, applications, and hands-on practices in one comprehensive source.
The LiDAR data within this book is collected from 27 areas in the United States, Brazil, Canada, Ghana, and Haiti and includes 183 figures created to introduce the concepts, methods, and applications in a clear context. It provides 11 step-by-step projects predominately based on Esri’s ArcGIS software to support seamless integration of LiDAR products and other GIS data. The first six projects are for basic LiDAR data visualization and processing and the other five cover more advanced topics: from mapping gaps in mangrove forests in Everglades National Park, Florida to generating trend surfaces for rock layers in Raplee Ridge, Utah.
- Offers a comprehensive overview of LiDAR technology with numerous applications in geography, forestry and earth science
- Gives necessary theoretical foundations from all pertinent subject matter areas
- Uses case studies and best practices to point readers to tools and resources
- Provides a synthesis of ongoing research in the area of LiDAR remote sensing technology
- Includes carefully selected illustrations and data from the authors' research projects
- Before every project in the book, a link is provided for users to download data
1. Brief Overview of Remote Sensing
2. Principles of LiDAR Remote Sensing
3. Basics of LiDAR Data Processing
4. LiDAR for Forest Applications
5. LiDAR for Urban Applications
6. LiDAR for Geoscience Applications
"LiDAR is an incredibly useful data and technology that has been making positive impacts in many areas of society, including natural hazard mitigation, city planning, and many other sectors. Teaching with and learning about LiDAR technology has been challenging for instructors and GIS practitioners because of the lack of useful and practical activities, data sets, and projects. Dong and Chen’s LiDAR Remote Sensing and Applications book will help fill this gap because their book includes a set of hands-on projects with step-by-step instructions, with accompanying very useful data sets on a variety of themes and scales."
— Joseph J. Kerski, Esri, Broomfield, Colorado, USA
"LiDAR Remote Sensing and Applications is an indispensable reference for those working with LiDAR data. Combining detailed background information, a comprehensive review of the literature, and a clear explanation of typical analytical approaches, the book focuses in particular on forestry, urban and geoscience applications. A key strength of the volume is the inclusion of tutorials and the associated data for 11 projects, allowing the reader to explore the applications presented and thus truly get to grips with the subject matter."
—Timothy Warner, West Virginia University, USA
"This is a good book for those who would like to understand the applications of Lidar without going into the technical details of Lidar technology, data pre-processing and processing." —Arup Dasgupta in Geospatial World