This book aims to promote the study, research and applications in the design, assessment, prediction, and optimal management of life-cycle performance, safety, reliability, and risk of civil structures and infrastructure systems. The contribution in each chapter presents state-of-the-art as well as emerging applications related to key aspects of the life-cycle civil engineering field.
The chapters in this book were originally published as a special issue of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering.
Table of Contents
Life-cycle of structural systems: design, assessment, maintenance and management
Hitoshi Furuta and Mitsuyoshi Akiyama
1. Non-prescriptive approaches to enhanced life cycle seismic performance of buildings
Mark P. Sarkisian
2. A life-cycle framework for integrating green building and hazard-resistant design: examining the seismic impacts of buildings with green roofs
Sarah J. Welsh-Huggins and Abbie B. Liel
3. Practical application of life-cycle management system for shore protection facilities
4. Framework for maintenance management of shield tunnel using structural performance and life cycle cost as indicators
Jianhong Wang, Atsushi Koizumi and Hiroshi Tanaka
5. Simplified structural deterioration model for reinforced concrete bridge piers under cyclic loading
Anirudh S. Rao, Michael D. Lepech, Anne S. Kiremidjian and Xiao-Yan Sun
6. Development of time-dependent fragility functions for deteriorating reinforced concrete bridge piers
Anirudh S. Rao, Michael D. Lepech and Anne Kiremidjian
7. Big data-based deterioration prediction models and infrastructure management: towards assetmetrics
Kiyoshi Kobayashi and Kiyoyuki Kaito
8. Time-variant redundancy and failure times of deteriorating concrete structures considering multiple limit states
Fabio Biondini and Dan M. Frangopol
9. After-fracture redundancy analysis of an aged truss bridge in Japan
Weiwei Lin, Heang Lam, Teruhiko Yoda, Haijie Ge, Ying Xu, Hideyuki Kasano, Kuniei Nogami and Jun Murakoshi
10. Experimental investigation of the spatial variability of the steel weight loss and corrosion cracking of reinforced concrete members: novel X-ray and digital image processing techniques
Sopokhem Lim, Mitsuyoshi Akiyama, Dan M. Frangopol and Haitao Jiang
11. Modelling processes related to corrosion of reinforcement in concrete: coupled 3D finite element model
Joško Ožbolt, Filip Oršanić and Gojko Balabanić
12. Efficient multi-objective optimisation of probabilistic service life management
Sunyong Kim and Dan M. Frangopol
13. Probabilistic assessment of an interdependent healthcare–bridge network system under seismic hazard
You Dong and Dan M. Frangopol
14. Reliability-based structural design framework against accidental loads – ship collision
Hyun-Moo Koh, Jeong-Hyun Lim, Hyunjoong Kim, Jiwoon Yi, Wonsuk Park and Junho Song
15. Target reliability for existing structures considering economic and societal aspects
Miroslav Sykora, Dimitris Diamantidis, Milan Holicky and Karel Jung
16. Vibration monitoring via spectro-temporal compressive sensing for wireless sensor networks
Roman Klis and Eleni N. Chatzi
Hitoshi Furuta is Professor at the Department of Informatics, Kansai University, Japan. He is the author or co-author of over 300 refereed publications, including books, book chapters, journal articles, and papers in conference proceedings. He is editorial board member of several international journals and was President of ICOSSAR, Chair of WC1 of IABSE, and currently Vice President of IALCCE.
Mitsuyoshi Akiyama is Professor at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering,Waseda University, Japan. He published many research papers on earthquake engineering, life-cycle structural performance, safety and reliability in structural engineering, and application of probabilistic concepts and methods to the design of civil structures. He is the recipient of several national and international awards.
Dan M. Frangopol is Professor and the inaugural holder of the Fazlur R. Khan Endowed Chair of Structural Engineering and Architecture at Lehigh University, USA. He has authored/co-authored over 350 articles in archival journals including 9 prize-winning papers. He is the Founding Editor of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering and of the book series Structures and Infrastructures. He is a foreign member of the Academia Europaea and of the Royal Academy of Belgium, an Honorary Member of the Romanian Academy, and a Distinguished Member of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).