Numerous people still believe that learning and getting expertise in Linux is not easy and only a professional can understand how a Linux system works. Now days, Linux has gained much popularity both at home as well at workplace. This book, Linux Yourself: Concept & Programming , aims to help and guide the people of all ages to offer a deep insight into the Linux concept, its usage, programming, administration and several other connected topics in an easy approach This book can also be used as textbook for undergraduate/ postgraduate engineering students and others who have passion to gain expertise in field of Computer Science /Information Technology as Linux developer or administrator.
The word ‘yourself’ in the title refers to the fact that the content of this book is designed in such a way that it gives a good beginning to understand Linux concept to lead yourself as good Linux professional in various platform. There are no pre-requisites to understand the contents from this book and a person with basic knowledge of C programming language will be able to grasp the concept with ease. With this mindset, all the topics are presented in such a way that it should be simple, clear explanation and straightforward with many examples and figures.
Linux is distinguished by its own power and flexibility, along with open source accessibility and community as compared to other operating system like Windows, MacOS, and others. I am of the sincere view that readers of all levels will find this book worthwhile and will be able to learn or sharpen their skills. Some Key features of this book is summarized below;
- Provide a deep conceptual learning and expertise in programming skill for any user about Linux, UNIX and their features.
- Elaborate GUI and CUI interface including Linux Commands, Various Shells and Vi Editors.
- Detailed briefing of File management and File systems to understand Linux system architecture easily.
- Promotes hands-on practices of regular expressions and advance filters like sed & awk through many helpful examples.
- Described the insight view of, Shell Scripting, Process, thread, system calls, signal, Inter process communication, X- window system and many more aspects to understand the system programming in Linux environment.
- Provide the detailed description of Linux administration by elaborating LILO, GRUB, RPM based package and program installation and compilation that can be very helpfull in managing the Linux system in a very efficient way.
- Described some famous Linux distributions to understand the similarity among all popular available Linux and others features as case studies.
Table of Contents
Preface. Why people like Linux. Target audience for this book. Why Linux yourself? Organization of the book. Feedback information. Conventions used in the book. Acknowledgments. Section 1: Linux Concept. Getting Started. Linux Command. The Shell. Vi Editor. Regular Expressions and Filters. Advance filters: Sed. Advance filters: awk. Shell Scripting. Linux System Administration. Section II : Linux Programming. Files Management. Linux File systems. Linux System Programming. Linux Interprocess Communications. X Window System Overview and programming. Section IV : Case Studies : Linux Distributions. Bibliography. Index.
Dr. Sunil K. Singh, is working as Professor & Head, Department of Computer Science & Engineering at Chandigarh College of Engineering and Technology (CCET- Degree Wing), Panjab University, Sector-26, Chandigarh. He did his graduation (Bachelor of Engineering), post-graduation (Master of Engineering), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in computer science & engineering and have a great passion in both teaching and research. Dr Singh expertise areas are High Performance Computing, Reconfigurable computing, Unix/Linux, Computer System Architecture, Embedded system and Computer Network. He has published more than 50 research papers in reputed International/National Journals and Conferences. He is a reviewer of several renowned research Journals and member of professional bodies like ACM, IE, IDES, LMISTE, ACEEE, IACSIT, IAENG and others. He also contributed in Eminent Speaker Program (ESP) of ACM India.