Male Supremacism in the United States is a timely editorial collection providing analysis of current patriarchal, misogynistic, and antifeminist threats in the United States,
The book theorizes how male supremacism—the system that disproportionately privileges cis men and subordinates women, trans men, and nonbinary people—and its accompanying ideology of male superiority undergird many of the most crucial phenomena of our time. The book examines how male supremacism manifests in three ways: as patriarchal traditionalism, as secular male supremacism, and in its intersections with other systems of oppression. From anti-abortion activism to misogynist incels to the Proud Boys, the collection illustrates how male supremacism plays a vital role in right-wing recruitment and organizing. The volume’s contributions illuminate unique aspects of male supremacist ideology, practice, and culture. Together, they provide a sweeping overview of the development and deployment of male supremacism in the United States.
This book will be of value to anyone studying or researching male supremacism, gender, feminism, women’s studies, hate studies, and the far right.
Part I: Foundations
1. Mobilizing Misogyny
2. The Inversive Sexism Scale: Endorsement of the Belief that Women are Privileged
Emily K. Carian
3. The U.S. Far Right’s Politics of Gender
Matthew N. Lyons
Part II: Patriarchal Traditionalism
4. ‘I Want to Thank my Husband Fred for Letting me Come Here,’ or Phyllis Schlafly’s Opportunistic Defense of Gender Hierarchy
5. Created Equal, but Equal in No Other Respect: Opposing Abortion to Protect Men
Part III: Secular Male Supremacism
6. Of Victims, Mass Murder and "Real Men": The Masculinities of the "Manosphere"
Ann-Kathrin Rothermel, Megan Kelly and Greta Jasser
7. Men’s Rights Activists, Personal Responsibility, and the End of Welfare
Alexis de Coning and Chelsea Ebin
8. Misogynist Incels and Male Supremacist Violence
Megan Kelly, Alex DiBranco and Julia R. DeCook
Part IV: Intersections
9. Fight Club: Gavin McInnes, the Proud Boys, and Male Supremacism
10. Watching Awakening: Violent White Masculinity in Cuck
Meredith L. Pruden
11. Trans Women and the Invisible Sisterhood