Can sport and physical activity (PA) be used to improve the communities we live in? How do community groups manage facilities that provide sport and PA? How can managers ensure the services they deliver meet the needs of their community? What role should community sport schemes play in society? Answer these questions and more in this, the first textbook to focus on the theory and practice of community-level sport management and development.
Bringing together academics and practitioners with expertise in sport management, sport development, the sociology of sport, PA programming and community coaching, this book outlines best practice and explores contemporary issues relating to:
The book is divided into three sections: Part I provides an introduction to developing and managing community sport; Part II outlines the key issues and challenges that face those working in the sector; and Part III examines the leadership and management qualities needed to effectively manage and develop community sport.
Insightful and user-friendly, Managing and Developing Community Sport is written in an easy to read style and is a vital resource for sport management practitioners or students hoping to work in community-level sport.
"This book is an excellent source for novice sport management students as it provides a link between community sport programs and for-pro?t sport management initiatives. I highly recommend that instructors consider adopting this text for their introductory sport and recreation management courses worldwide." - Velina B. Brackebusch, St. Mary’s College of California, International Journal of Sport Communication
[Rob Wilson and Chris Platts]
Part I: Contextualising Community Sport and Physical Activity
1. Introducing Community Sport and Physical Activity
2. The Community Sport and Physical Activity Landscape
3. Walking in the Shoes of Others: Critical Reflection in Community Sport and Physical Activity
[Donna Woodhouse and Jim Cherrington]
Part II: Contemporary Issues in Community Sport and Physical Activity
4. Using Physical Activity to Improve Community Health?
[David Broom and Stuart Flint]
5. Including the Excluded: Community Cohesion through Sport and Physical Activity
6. Corporate Social Responsibility
[Daniel Plumley and Rob Wilson]
7. Community Engagement Through Elite Sport
8. Community Sport Event Management
[Jo Marsden Heathcote and Jude Langdon]
9. Community Coaching
[Valerie Stevenson and Pippa Jones]
Part III: Functions and Operations in Community Sport and Physical Activity
10. Managing Community Sport and Physical Activity Centres
[Melissa Jacobi and Rebecca Peake]
11. Finance and Budgeting for Community Sport and Physical Activity
[Rob Wilson and Daniel Plumley]
12. Leadership and Management in Community Sport Organisations
[Rebecca Peake and Melissa Jacobi]
13. Enterprise and Innovation
14. Monitoring and Evaluation
[Maxine Gregory and Jayne Wilson]