This reference text discusses models and analyzes cases that are useful for material requirements planning (MRP), just-in-time (JIT) environments and supply chain environments, as well as traditional production-inventory systems.
It covers important concepts, including production-inventory systems, optimal purchase quantity, optimal production quantity, instantaneous procurement, multiple input items, sensitivity analysis, multiproduct manufacturing, determination of optimum cycle time, fractional backlogging, and incorporating input item procurement and flexibility in the production rate.
Aimed at senior undergraduate and graduate students, and professionals in the field of industrial engineering, production engineering and manufacturing science, this text:
- Provides detailed models/analysis pertaining to various cases which are useful for material requirements planning and supply chain environments
- Elaborates manufacturing rate flexibility, demand variation and production rate variation
- Discusses the multi-item manufacturing environment and presents models with backorders, as well as fractional backlogging
- Analyzes flexible production rates, along with upward and downward variations
Table of Contents
1. Introduction. 2. Batch size. 3. Batch size relevance for just-in-time (JIT). 4. Price variation. 5. Batch size for material requirements planning. 6. Multiproduct manufacturing. 7. Manufacturing rate flexibility. 8. Additional Reading. 9. Bibliography.
Sanjay Sharma is Professor at National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai, India. He is operations and supply chain management educator and researcher. He has more than the three decades experience including industrial, managerial, teaching/training, consultancy and research; also many awards/honours to his credit. He has published eight books and papers in various journals such as European Journal of Operational Research, International Journal of Production Economics, Computers & Operations Research, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Journal of the Operational Research Society, and Computers and Industrial Engineering. He is also on the editorial board of few journals including the International Journal of Logistics Management.