Marketing and Managing Tourism Destinations
- Available for pre-order on June 20, 2023. Item will ship after July 11, 2023
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
Marketing and Managing Tourism Destinations is a comprehensive and integrated introductory textbook covering destination management and marketing in one volume. It focuses on how destination management is planned, implemented, and evaluated as well as the management and operations of destination management organizations (DMOs), how they conduct business, major opportunities, and challenges and issues they face to compete for the global leisure and business travel markets.
Much has changed since the publication of the second edition of this book in 2018. The COVID-19 pandemic was unpredictable at the time and has caused havoc for destinations and DMOs. The third edition includes many materials about the COVID-19 impacts and recovery from the pandemic.
This third edition has been updated to include:
- Four new chapters – Chapter 2 Destination sustainability and social responsibility; Chapter 3 Quality of life and wellbeing of destination residents; Chapter 11 Destination crisis management; and Chapter 20 Destination management performance measurement and management.
- 420 new and updated international case examples to show the practical realities and approaches to managing different destinations around the world.
- Coverage of contemporary topics including, for example, COVID-19, social responsibility, metaverse, mixed reality, virtual meetings, teleworking, digital nomads, viral marketing, blended travel, regenerative tourism, meaningful travel, and several others.
- A significantly improved illustration program.
- Keyword lists.
It is illustrated in full color and packed with features to encourage reflection on main themes, spur critical thinking, and show theory in practice.
Written by an author with many years of industry practice, university teaching and professional training experience, this book is the essential guide to the subject for tourism, hospitality, and events students and industry practitioners alike.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Critical concepts in destination management and marketing
1. Destination management and marketing
2. Destination sustainability and social responsibility
3. Quality of life and wellbeing of destination residents
Part 2: Destination management roles
4. Destination planning
5. Destination management research
6. Destination leadership, coordination, and governance
7. Destination product development
8. Destination partnership and team building
9. Destination stakeholder relationships and involvement
10. Visitor management
11. Destination crisis management
12. Planning marketing, branding, and communications
Part 3: Destination marketing, branding, and communications
13. Destination positioning, image, and branding
14. Destination integrated marketing communications1
15. e-marketing and ICTs
Part 4: Destination markets and trends
16. Consumer behavior, segmentation, and market trends
17. Domestic leisure and VFR travel markets
18. International pleasure and leisure travel markets
19. Business travel and business event markets
Part 5: Destination management performance measurement and the future of destination management
20. Destination management performance measurement and management
21. The future of destination management
Alastair M. Morrison, Ph.D. is Research Professor at the School of Management and Marketing, Greenwich Business School, University of Greenwich in London, U.K. Formerly, he was Distinguished Professor Emeritus at Purdue University, U.S. specializing in the area of tourism and hospitality marketing. He has published approximately 350 academic articles and conference proceedings and is the author of several books on tourism marketing and development including Marketing and Managing Tourism Destinations, 3rd edition (Routledge, 2023); Hospitality and Travel Marketing, 5th edition (Routledge, 2022); Tourism Marketing in the Age of the Consumer (Routledge, 2022); and World Tourism Cities (Routledge, 2021);. Prof. Morrison is the Co-Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Tourism Cities and Co-Editor of the Routledge Handbook of Tourism Cities (Routledge, 2021).
"This textbook is a ‘must-have’ resource for those interested in destination management and marketing. It offers a comprehensive view on key aspects of managing and promoting destinations, with added chapters on current issues such as sustainability, residents’ wellbeing, crisis management, and e-marketing. Written in a student-friendly manner, with plenty of examples and images, the textbook is a great resource for students, academics, and practitioners."
-Dr. Cristina Maxim, Senior Lecturer, University of West London, UK
"This book covers important topics on destination marketing and management. Prof. Morrison sheds light on the critical concepts and discusses about strategic as well as operational issues. He features useful examples, summaries and review questions in each chapter, for the benefit of his readers. I am very pleased to recommend this title to students and to aspiring practitioners."
-Dr. Mark Anthony Camilleri, Associate Professor of Corporate Communication, University of Malta, Malta
"The performance of a destination is often judged by the way it is managed and marketed. With globalisation, digitalisation and sophistication, destinations are evolving in an unpredictable tourism environment. As such, new knowledge and up-to-date strategies are needed to survive in such an uncertain condition. In response, Alastair’s third Edition on Marketing and Managing Tourism Destinations offers a comprehensive insight of updated management and marketing strategies to the tourism world. Enriched with 21 chapters, the book not only presents contemporary concepts from a renewed perspective, but also proposes refreshed practical examples from different parts of the world. The book adopts a unique approach; each chapter opens up with a ‘warming up’ and closes with a ‘summing up’ section. This allows readership to have a taste of the topic while aiding in a smooth digestion of the chapter. Marketing and Managing Tourism Destinations by Alastair Morrison is a valuable resource to the tourism community. The book will definitely delight readership in quest of knowledge on contemporary issues affecting the management and marketing of tourism destinations in the 21st century and onwards."
-Dr. Vanessa GB Gowreesunkar, Associate Professor, Anant National University, India and Associate Editor, Emerald, International Journal of Tourism Cities
"This book makes a very significant and valuable contribution to tourism destination marketing and management. Dr. Morrison introduces each important concept through a synthesis of the literature, diverse case studies, up-to-date data, and a variety of figures and tables. The whole book is very easy to follow and covers all the crucial aspects of this area. The real-world cases provide excellent resources for students to learn by doing and set the best examples for practitioners. It is definitely essential reading for students, instructors, scholars, and practitioners."
-Dr. Ye (Sandy) Shen, Assistant Professor, Experience Industry Management Department, Cal Poly University, San Luis Obispo, California, US