Mechanical Engineering Design (SI Edition)
Mechanical Engineering Design, Third Edition, SI Version strikes a balance between theory and application, and prepares students for more advanced study or professional practice. Updated throughout, it outlines basic concepts and provides the necessary theory to gain insight into mechanics with numerical methods in design. Divided into three sections, the text presents background topics, addresses failure prevention across a variety of machine elements, and covers the design of machine components as well as entire machines. Optional sections treating special and advanced topics are also included.
- Places a strong emphasis on the fundamentals of mechanics of materials as they relate to the study of mechanical design
- Furnishes material selection charts and tables as an aid for specific utilizations
- Includes numerous practical case studies of various components and machines
- Covers applied finite element analysis in design, offering this useful tool for computer-oriented examples
- Addresses the ABET design criteria in a systematic manner
- Presents independent chapters that can be studied in any order
Mechanical Engineering Design, Third Edition, SI Version allows students to gain a grasp of the fundamentals of machine design and the ability to apply these fundamentals to various new engineering problems.
SECTION 1 Fundamentals. Chapter 1. Introduction. Chapter 2. Materials. Chapter 3. Stress and Strain. Chapter 4. Deflection and Impact. Chapter 5. Energy Methods and Stability. SECTION II Failure Prevention. Chapter 6. Static Failure Criteria and Liability. Chapter 7. Fatigue Failure Criteria. Chapter 8. Surface Failure. SECTION III Machine Component Design. Chapter 9. Shafts and Associated Parts. Chapter 10. Bearings and Lubrication. Chapter 11. Spur Gears. Chapter 12. Helical, Bevel, and Worm Gears. Chapter 13. Belts, Chains, Clutches, and Brakes. Chapter 14. Springs. Chapter 15. Power Screws, Fasteners, and Connections. Chapter 16. Miscellaneous Mechanical Components. Chapter 17. Finite Element Analysis in Design*. Chapter 18. Case Studies in Machine Design. Appendix A: Tables. Appendix B: Material Properties. Appendix C: Stress-Concentration Factors. Appendix D: Solution of the Stress Cubic Equation. Appendix E: Introduction to MATLAB®. Problem answers. References. Index.