A response to increasingly stringent regulation of pollution and toxicity levels in industrial waste discharge, Micellar Enhanced Ultrafiltration: Fundamentals & Applications offers the most complete book available on the benefits and use of micellar-enhanced ultrafiltration (MEUF) to achieve continuous removal of organic and inorganic pollutants.
An Unparalleled Book That Addresses Both Academic and Industrial Points of View
Several membrane-based techniques, such as microfiltration, ultrafiltration, nanofiltration, and reverse osmosis, are currently used in a wide range of applications throughout the textile, pulp and paper, sugar, chemical, pharmaceutical, biomedical, biotechnological, and food industries. However, although reverse osmosis is an effective means of removing contaminants, this book explains why MEUF is a better substitute, as it less expensive, less energy-intensive, and more efficient and practical for a wider range of applications.
Topics covered include:
- Effects of pollution in water and its consequences
- Various treatment processes and membrane technologies
- Fundamentals of ultrafiltration
- Outline of various membrane modules and modeling approaches
- Principles of colloid chemistry
- Theories of micelle formation
- Stability and dynamics of micelles
- Phenomena of counterion binding
- Solubilization of organic pollutants
- Selection criteria for surfactants
- Various flux enhancement techniques
- Recovery of precious metals
This book conveys how, with proper selection of surfactant and membrane, MEUF can be used to efficiently remove almost all metal ions (heavy metals, lanthanides, radioa
Pollution and Importance of Micellar-Enhanced Ultrafiltration. Fundamentals of Membrane Separation and Ultrafiltration. Surfactants. Selection of Surfactant. Removal of Inorganic Pollutants. Removal of Organic Pollutants. Permeate Flux: Influencing Factors. Recovery of Surfactants. Other Applications of Micellar-Enhanced Ultrafiltration. Appendix: CMC Values of Some Surfactants.