How is the pre-Stonewall generation aging? What can the Stonewall generation expect?Combining personal experience and original research, this fascinating collection explores the practical and psychological issues of aging for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals. Midlife and Aging in Gay America provides highlights from the SAGE 2000 National Conference on the personal, psychological, and economic issues related to growing older as a member of a sexual minority. Midlife and Aging in Gay America delivers reports from a national conference on urgent issues, including:
- health care concerns
- retirement plans
- intergenerational romances
- lifestyle issues
- grief and loss
Table of Contents
- Keynote Speeches
- A Call to Action
- Is Having the Luck of Growing Old in the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Community Good or Bad Luck?
- Aging in the United States Today
- Being Transgender and Older: A First Person Account
- Being Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and 60 or Older in North America
- Gay Men: Aging Well!
- What Are Older Gay Men Like? An Impossible Question?
- Special Topics
- Gods or Monsters: A Critique of Representation in Film and Literature of Relationships Between Older Gay Men and Younger Men
- Retirement Intentions of Same-Sex Couples
- Preliminary Study of Caregiving and Post-Caregiving Experiences of Older Gay Men and Lesbians
- Vision and Older Adults
- Responding to the Mental Health and Grief Concerns of Homeless HIV-Infected Gay Men
- Reference Notes Included