384 pages | 3 B/W Illus.
Modern Irish: A Comprehensive Grammar is a complete reference guide to modern Irish grammar, providing a thorough overview of the language.
Key features include:
Modern Irish: A Comprehensive Grammar is an essential reference source for the learner and user of Irish. It is ideal for use in schools, colleges, universities, and adult classes of all types.
1. Dialects of Irish
2. Sounds and spellings
3. Initial mutations
Grammar I: Sentence basics
5. Basic word order
6. Non-declarative sentences
7. Being and having
8. Focus and emphasis with cleft sentences
Grammar II: Building blocks - major constituents
9. Verbs and verb phrases
10. Irregular verbs
11. Personal endings
12. Impersonal forms
13. Verbal nouns and adjectives
14. The syntax of verbal nouns and verbal adjectives: Expressions of aspect
16. Nouns and noun phrases
Grammar III: Building the Phrase - modifiers and adjuncts
Grammar IV: Complex Sentences
23. Coordinate, complement, and adjunct clauses
24. Relative clauses
Concluding chapters: Extra-sentential material
27. Greetings, formulaic expressions, and discourse markers
Comprehensive Grammars are clear guides to the entire grammar system of each language. They are suitable for intermediate to advanced learners and a must for every language reference library.
All Comprehensive Grammars are available as inspection copies.