Thoroughly updated throughout, this second edition of Monte Carlo Techniques in Radiation Therapy: Applications to Dosimetry, Imaging, and Preclinical Radiotherapy, edited by Joao Seco and Frank Verhaegen, explores the use of Monte Carlo methods for modelling various features of internal and external radiation sources.
Monte Carlo methods have been heavily used in the field of radiation therapy in applications such as dosimetry, imaging, radiation chemistry, modelling of small animal irradiation units, etc. The aim of this book is to provide a compendium of the Monte Carlo methods that are commonly used in radiation therapy applications, which will allow students, postdoctoral fellows, and university professors to learn and teach Monte Carlo techniques. This book provides concise but detailed information about many Monte Carlo applications that cannot be found in any other didactic or scientific book.
This second edition contains many new chapters on topics such as:
- Monte Carlo studies of prompt gamma emission
- Developments in proton imaging
- Monte Carlo for cone beam CT imaging
- Monte Carlo modelling of proton beams for small animal irradiation
- Monte Carlo studies of microbeam radiation therapy
- Monte Carlo in micro- and nano-dosimetry
- GPU-based fast Monte Carlo simulations for radiotherapy
This book is primarily aimed at students and scientists wishing to learn and improve their knowledge of Monte Carlo methods in radiation therapy.
1. Applications of Monte Carlo to Ionization Chamber Dosimetry in External Photon Beams. 2. Monte Carlo calculations for proton and ion beam dosimetry. 3. Monte Carlo for Megavoltage Imaging. 4. Monte Carlo Studies of Prompt Gamma Emission. 5. Recent developments in proton imaging. 6. Monte Carlo for Cone Beam CT imaging. 7. Monte Carlo calculations for PET-based treatment verification of ion beam therapy. 8. Monte Carlo Modelling in small animal photon radiotherapy. 9. Monte Carlo Modelling of Proton Beams for Small Animal Irradiation. 10. Monte Carlo Studies for Microbeam Radiation Therapy. 11. Monte Carlo in micro and nano-dosimetry. 12. Monte Carlo Modeling in Magnetic Fields. 13. Geant4-DNA modeling of radiation effects in biological systems. 14. GPU-Based Fast Monte Carlo Simulations for Radiotherapy. 15. Application of Monte Carlo Methods to Radionuclide Therapy. 16. Monte Carlo for Shielding of Radiotherapy Facilities.