Musculoskeletal injections for joint or tendon problems are performed commonly and their use, which can result in a marked improvement in acute symptoms as well as delay or postpone surgery, is on the rise.
- Provides concise, current and portable information
- Covers the latest treatment options, supported by scientific evidence and guidelines
- Discusses alternative injections, non-injection measures and novel treatment modalities
- Text supported by illustrations and video of injection procedures and physiotherapy
- Ideal for both the non-specialist seeking an introduction to the subject and the more experienced practitioner
This accessible guide helps doctors from various disciplines including orthopaedics, sports medicine, rheumatology, radiology and primary care as well as allied health care professionals understand the indications and local anatomy to safely perform injections with complication avoidance. In addition, the book provides useful information regarding other alternatives including physiotherapy and novel modalities. The content is supported by current evidence, guidelines and companion videos.
Table of Contents
1. Musculoskeletal injections in general
2. Shoulder and elbow injections
3. Hand and wrist injections
4. Hip and knee injections
5. Foot and ankle injections
6. Image-guided injections in orthopaedics
7. Platelet-rich plasma injections
8. Visco-supplementation injections
9. Practical prolotherapy
10. Extracorporeal shock wave therapy
11. Novel treatments for the management of chronic shoulder,
knee and hip joint pain
Maneesh Bhatia is a Consultant Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon at University Hospitals Leicester, UK. He has previously written the highly rated An Orthopaedics Guide for Today’s GP which is a useful adjunct to this book. Mr Bhatia has a keen interest in education and research and runs joint injection courses and teaching seminars in Orthopaedics and is an examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons. He is an advisory panel member of NIHR, currently a member of Scientific Committee of British Orthopaedic Foot Ankle Society and the Education Secretary of British Indian Orthopaedic Society.
"This is a powerful book and an important contribution to the literature on musculoskeletal injections. The advice contained in this book should be adopted widely and quickly to improve outcomes for patients and deliver better value for health services."
Professor Mayur Lakhani CBE PRCGP SFFMLM, President of The Royal College of
General Practitioners, UK
"I am sure that this book would benefit a wide range of health professionals including doctors in Primary Care as well as Orthopaedics trainees. I am pleased to endorse 'Musculoskeletal injections and alternative options - A practical guide to what, when and how' and would like to congratulate the team for their innovative efforts and hard work."
Mr Ananda Nanu, President, British Orthopaedic Association, UK
"This well-organized and compact book is a welcome and important addition to the field of pain management of the musculoskeletal system. The author and contributors are to be commended for presenting a balanced and detailed work. The book is highly recommended to all medical professionals caring for these patients."
Mark R Hutchinson, MD (University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine)