Narrative Design The Craft of Writing for Games
Narrative designers and game designers are critical to the development of digital and analog games. This book provides a detailed look at the work writers and designers perform every day on game development projects. It includes practical advice on how to break into the game industry as a writer or game designer. Readers can use the templates and detailed instructions provided here to create lively portfolios that will help open the door to jobs in the game industry.
Key features of this book:
• An intimate look at the workings of AAA game development from someone who has spent decades embedded on teams at well-known companies.
• An insider’s look at the game industry, including advice on breaking into the industry.
• Detailed instructions for creating a portfolio to demonstrate narrative design and game design skills to prospective employers.
• Lessons and exercises to help students develop narrative design and game design skills.
• A how-to guide for college instructors teaching classes in narrative design and game design. Detailed assignments and syllabi are included.
Michael Breault is a 35-year industry veteran who has contributed his writing and game design skills to over 130 published games. He currently teaches narrative design and game design courses at Webster University in St. Louis. The courses he creates and teaches are based on the tasks narrative designers and game designers undertake every day while developing games. These classes provide his students with a real-world view of the work they will be doing as writers and designers in the game industry.
Chapter 1 ◾ What Is Narrative Design? 1
Chapter 2 ◾ What Is Game Design? 9
Chapter 3 ◾ Story in Games 17
Chapter 4 ◾ Game Development as a Craft 25
Chapter 5 ◾ The Idea Is Everything…and Nothing 31
Chapter 6 ◾ The Player’s the Thing 41
Chapter 7 ◾ The Team’s the Thing, Too 47
Chapter 8 ◾ Game Genres and Their Players 57
Chapter 9 ◾ The Game Development Process 63
Chapter 10 ◾ Writing and Design for Analog Games 75
Chapter 11 ◾ Writing Advice 81
Chapter 12 ◾ Teaching Narrative Design and Game Design 89
Chapter 13 ◾ Career Opportunities in the Game Industry 99
APPENDIX A: PUBLICATIONS LIST, 105
APPENDIX B: CLASS SYLLABI, 113
APPENDIX C: COURSE ASSIGNMENTS (INSTRUCTIONS AND