New Dimensions in Spirituality, Religion, and Aging expands the traditional focus of religiosity to include and evaluate recent research and discoveries on the role of secular spirituality in the aging process. Contributors examine the ways conventional religion and other forms of spirituality affect human development, health and longevity, and they demonstrate how myth-creation enables humans to make meaning in their lives. Taken together, the book points to further research to enhance current knowledge, approaches to care, and social policies.
1. Emerging Developments in Spirituality, Religion, and Aging.
Vern L. Bengtson, University of Southern California, Samantha L. C. Kang, Camille G. Endacott, and Gabrielle G. Gonzales, University of California Santa Barbara, and Merril Silverstein, Syracuse University.
2. The Current Landscape of American Religion: Diversity, Individualization, and the Implications for an Aging Population.
Rhys H. Williams, Loyola University, Chicago.
3. Spiritual Journeys: Elders' Stories of Spiritual Development.
Robert C. Atchley, Miami University.
4. Meaning Making Narratives among Non-Religious Individuals Facing the End of Life.
Christel Manning, Sacred Heart University.
5. The role of Questioning in Religious and Spiritual Development in Later Life.
Peter G. Coleman, University of Southampton.
6. Religion and Health in the US Context of Secularization and Aging
Ellen Idler, Emory University.
7. Cognition and Culture: Implications for Understanding Religion/Spirituality.
Linda K. George, Duke University.
8. How Religion Affects Health: Views from Midway Through an Odyssey.
Neal Krause, University of Michigan .
9. Spirituality and Wisdom: Their Differential Effects on Older Adults’ Spiritual Behavior, Well-Being, and Attitudes Toward Death.
Monika Ardelt, University of Florida.
10. Religion and Spirituality over the Life-Cycle.
Wade Clark Roof, University of California Santa Barbara.
11. Spirituality and Life Review at the End of Life in Old Age.
Malcolm Johnson, Universities of Bath and Bristol, UK.
12. Stages on Life's Way: Life Review through Dreams.
Rick Moody, Fielding Graduate University.
13. What Does It All Mean? Observations and Takeaways by a Practical Theologian.
H. Peter Kang, Episcopal Church.