Nordic Criminal Justice in a Global Context Practices and Promotion of Exceptionalism
This book critically investigates Nordic criminal justice as a global role model.
Not taking this role for granted, the chapters of the book analyze how Nordic approaches to criminal justice were folded into global contexts, and how patterns of promotion were built around perceptions that these approaches also had a particular value for other criminal justice systems. Specific actors, both internal and external to the region itself, have branded Nordic criminal justice as a form of ‘penal exceptionalism’ associated with human rights, universalistic welfare, and social cohesion. The book shows how building and using the brand of Nordic criminal justice allowed stakeholders to champion specific forms of crime control across a variety of criminal justice areas in both domestic and international settings.
The book will be of interest to scholars and students of criminal justice, international law and justice, Nordic and Scandinavian studies, and more widely to the social sciences and humanities.
Introduction: Nordic criminal justice in a global world
Mikkel Jarle Christensen, Kjersti Lohne, and Magnus Hörnqvist
Part 1: Practices of Nordic Criminal Justice
1. Defending the North and Exporting its Criminal Justice: The reproduction of Nordic criminal justice cohesion in a global world
Mikkel Jarle Christensen
2. Shaping Nordic Punishment: Penal exceptionalism and the correctional revolution at Ringe prison in the 1970s
Peter Fransen and Peter Scharff Smith
3. Nordic Perspectives on International Criminal Law and International Humanitarian Law
Part 2: Promoting Nordic Criminal Justice
4. To be both in the world and yet not of it: Swedish drug policy and the international context
Henrik Tham and Johan Edman
5. Swedish, Nordic, European: The journey of a ‘model’ to abolish prostitution
Isabel Crowhurst and May-Len Skilbrei
6. A cult(ure) of intelligence-led policing: On the international campaigning and convictions of Danish policing
David Brehm Sausdal
7. Nordic penal humanitarianism: Status-building, brand-alignment, and penal power
8. From Model to Problem: The Demise of Sweden’s Anti-Torture Brand
Johan Karlsson Schaffer and Axel Tengwall
9. Through Scandinavia, darkly: A criminological critique of Nordic noir
Keith Hayward and Steve Hall