Nordic Gender Equality Policy in a Europeanisation Perspective
This book provides a comprehensive treatment of the role Nordic countries have played as exporters and importers of gender equality policies, and of how Europeanisation has framed the development and harmonisation of legislation and politics between the countries, with global consequences.
The diverse range of contributors present the argument that the European Union increasingly exerts influence on Nordic equality policy, without undermining the recent significance of the Nordic countries’ gender policy as models for countries all over the world . It demonstrates that differentiation and variation at national and regional levels in the Nordic countries, as well as in Europe in general, matter as much as integrational processes and inner adaptation to EU legislation and international laws. This book explores the limitations of the Europeanisation process and the political diversity of national and regional policies, together with the crucial ways practices in the family life and the labour market concerning gender equality depend on cultural and religious norms and group interests.
Nordic Gender Equality Policy in a Europeanisation Perspective is a key text for students and researchers seeking to understand the interrelations of Nordic and European Union gender policies.
1. Perspectives on Nordic gender equality policy and Europeanisation
2. Same-sex families: The cause and effect of Nordic harmonization
3. How could equal parental leaves be promoted in Europe? Lessons from Swedish lesbian families.
4. Swedish gender equality
5. Bureaucracy of Gender Equality: Europeanisation in Nordic Context?
Laila Nordstrand Berg and Zuzana Murdoch
6. "Lessons from Norway" - how gender quotas on corporate boards was transformed from unthinkable to exportable
Siri Øyslebø Sørensen
7. Gender, Excellence and Research Funding
Kristine P. Miland
8. Fathers’ quotas as gender equality policies
Berit Brandth and Elin Kvande
9. Europeanization Processes and Bodily Politics: Stalking and Online Harassment
Helene Pristed Nielsen, Lise Rolandsen Agustín and Stine Thidemann Faber
10. The Role of Ethics in Gender Equality Strategies in Academia: Nordic and European Perspectives