Nuclear Systems Volume I
Thermal Hydraulic Fundamentals, Third Edition
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after January 12, 2021
Nuclear Systems Volume I: Thermal Hydraulic Fundamentals, Third Edition provides an in-depth introduction to nuclear power, focussing on thermal hydraulic design and analysis of the nuclear core and other key nuclear plant components. The authors stress the integration of fluid flow and heat transfer as applied to all power reactor types and energy source distribution. They cover nuclear reactor concepts and systems, including GEN III+, GEN IV and SMR reactors, and new power cycles. The text features new chapter examples and problems using concept parameters, full color text and art, computer programs, figure slides, and a solutions manual.
This third edition includes:
- rigorous coverage of nuclear power generation fundamentals
- description and analysis of the latest nuclear power plant designs and technologies
- extensive examples in each chapter to illustrate the analysis methods which have been presented .
- new full-color art and text features to enhance presentation of topics
- integration of fluid flow and heat transfer as applied to single- and two-phase coolants
Readers will develop the knowledge and design skills needed to improve the next generation of nuclear reactors.
Table of Contents
1. Principal Characteristics of Power Reactors 2. Thermal Design Principles and Application 3. Reactor Energy Distribution 4. Transport Equations for Single-Phase Flow 5. Transport Equations for Two-Phase Flow 6. Thermodynamics of Nuclear Energy Conversion Systems - Nonflow and Steady Flow: Applications of the First and Second Law of Thermodynamics 7. Thermodynamics of Nuclear Energy Conversion Systems - Nonsteady Flow First Law Analysis 8. Thermal Analysis of Fuel Elements 9. Single-Phase Fluid Mechanics 10. Single-Phase Heat Transfer 11. Two-Phase Flow Dynamics 12. Pool Boiling 13. Flow Boiling 14. Single Heated Channel: Steady-State Analysis
Dr. Neil E. Todreas is a Professor Emeritus and former Department Head of the Nuclear Science and Engineering Department at M.I.T. He has extensive nuclear power experience, having served in the US nuclear Navy and the Reactor deveopment program of the US government and provided leadership on many US government nuclear review committees such as the industry review group on Three Mile Island from 1983-1988 and the NRC's Reactor Safety Research Committee. In addition to his part-time teaching and research, Dr. Todreas continues to be a leading consultant to industry and government. He is a Fellow at the ASME, the ANS and a member of the National Academy of Engineering.
Dr. Mujid S. Kazimi was a professor and former head of the Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering at MIT. He had extensive nuclear power experience, having served on the Board of Managers of the Idaho National Energy Laboratory. He was a Fellow at the American Nuclear Society and the AAAS, and a member of the AIChE, ASME, and ASEE and a member of the National Academy of Engineering.. Dr. Kazimi had been involved with several nuclear safety studies throughout his career, covering reactor systems, as well as their fuel cycles. He passed away in 2015. In the memorial service held for him at M.I.T., Dr. Kazimi was described as "one of the world’s most distinguished educators and researchers in the field of nuclear technology. His outstanding scientific and engineering achievements are recognized around the world."