Do you find maths challenging?
Do you struggle with drug calculations or clinical applications of numeracy?
If you need to brush up your maths skills, Numeracy in Nursing and Healthcare is the perfect textbook to help you through your nursing programme. The text starts out with basic adding and subtracting and works up to more advanced principles like SI units, drug administration, common clinical measurements and how to understand statistics in research articles. By illustrating how maths is relevant to clinical practice, Numeracy in Nursing and Healthcare is a great tool to help you increase your confidence and excel in your studies and career.
- Step-by-step examples make understanding concepts easy
- Look Out sections highlight common mistakes
- Time to Try and What Did You Learn? questions help you apply what you have learned
- Key Point boxes provide helpful hints for good problem-solving technique
- Web links direct you to further reading and examples.
Table of Contents
Introduction 1. Basic Arithmetic Skills 2. Decimals and Other Fractions 3. SI Units 4. Drug Calculations 5. Drug Concentrations 6. Per Cent, Percentage and Ratios 7. Intravenous Fluid and Drug Administration 8. Common Clinical Measurements 9. Physiological Measurements 10. Statistics and Reading Research Articles Appendices Glossary
Pearl Shihab has wide experience of nursing and midwifery in both hospital and community settings. She has spent the last fourteen years teaching biosciences on healthcare programmes and supporting students lacking in maths skills.