Nutrition and Football is a FIFA endorsed book which provides the first formal scientific consensus on players’ energy use fluid, and optimal nutritional requirements. Including:
- nutrition for pre-season, training, match play and in different climates
- analysis of the energy and metabolic demands of players in different positions
- water and electrolyte requirements
- strategies to balance effects of stress, over training and over playing
- ideal body composition in professional football
- analysis and interventions to counter late game fatigue
- supplements and nutrition for optimum training adaptation
- the effects of alcohol on metabolism, performance and general health.
Each contributor to this accessible guide is an internationally recognized expert in their field and the chapters embrace all key aspects of nutrition for football. Presenting cutting-edge research, the book has a practical and applied focus and has been developed with input from practicing sports nutrition club professionals.
Table of Contents
Introduction. List of Participants. Consensus Statement 1. Physical and Metabolic Demands of Training and Match Play in the Elite Player 2. Macronutrients and Energy for Training and Recovery 3. Nutrition on Match Day 4. Water and Electrolyte Needs for Soccer Training and Match Play 5. Promoting Training Adaptations through Nutritional Interventions 6. Nutrition Strategies for Soccer: Counteracting Heat, Cold, High Altitude and Jet Lag 7. Alcohol and Football 8. Dietary Supplements for Soccer 9. Nutritional Strategies to Counter Stress to the Immune System in Athletes, with Special Reference to Football 10. The Brain and Fatigue: New Opportunities for Nutrition Interventions? 11. Nutrition Needs of Female and Youth Soccer Player 12. Nutrition Needs of the Soccer Referee
Ron Maughan is Professor of Sport and Exercise Nutrition at Loughborough University and Chair of the Nutrition Working Group of the International Olympic Committee.