On-Board Processing for Satellite Remote Sensing Images
On-board image processing systems are used to maximize image data transmission efficiency for large volumes of data gathered by Earth observation satellites. This book explains the methods, mathematical models, and key technologies used for these systems. It introduces the background, basic concepts, and the architecture of on-board image processing, along with on-board detection of the image feature and matching, ground control point identification, on-board geometric correction, calibration, geographic registration, etc.
• Describes algorithms and methodologies for on-board image processing with FPGA chips.
• Migrates the traditional on-ground computing to on-board operation and the image processing is implemented on-board, not on-ground.
• Introduces for the first time many key technologies and methods for on-board image processing.
• Emphasizes the recent progress in image processing by using on-board FPGA chips.
• Includes case studies from the author’s extensive research and experience on the topic.
This book gives insights into emerging technologies for on-board processing and will benefit senior undergraduate and graduate students of remote sensing, information technology, computer science and engineering, electronic engineering, and geography, as well as researchers and professionals interested in satellite remote sensing image processing in academia, and governmental and commercial sectors.