656 pages | 584 B/W Illus.
This books aims to present fundamental aspects of optical communication techniques and advanced modulation techniques and extensive applications of optical communications systems and networks employing single-mode optical fibers as the transmission system. New digital techqniues such as chromatic dispersion, polarization mode dispersion, nonlinear phase distortion effects, etc. will be discussed. Practical models for practice and understanding the behavior and dynamics of the devices and systems will be included.
"The book is … comprehensive, covering the most important aspects of the modern optical communication technologies supporting the big data era."
— Bangning Mao, China Jiliang University, Hangzhou, China
"’This book is an excellent contribution, provides an in-depth description of the topic(s), from science fundamentals to the technology state of the art, and thus covers an ultra-broad area of audience, from student and academics to engineers and industry experts. Emerging from his long-year, multidisciplinary experience in academia, research and high level industrial environment, the author has an outstanding ability to present scientific topics, combining different perspectives, and targeting to a wide area of technology experts, but keeping the accuracy and the completeness needed in an academic book."
— Spiros Mikroulis, Huawei, European Research Center, Munich, Germany
2. Direct Modulation of Laser and Optical Injection Locking Sources
3. Binary Digital Optical Modulation
4. Guided-Wave Photonic Transmitters: External Modulation and Formats
5. Binary and Multi-Level Complex Signal Optical Modulation
6. Incoherent and Coherent Optical Receivers
7. Coherent Optical Receiver
8. Multi-Carrier OFDM Optical Modulation
9. Modulation for Short-Reach Access Optical Transmission
10. Pulse Shaping Modulation and Superchannels
11. Single Mode Planar Optical Waveguide
12. Graded-Index Integrated Modulators
13. 3D Integrated Optical Waveguides for Modulators
14. Optical Fibers: Geometrical and Lightwaves Guiding Properties
15. Introduction to Design of Optical Transmission Systems